• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negative people when starting up!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody has said anything about the first people he will have to deal with "Agents"

Read some of the threads in General, it's not pretty.

Welcome to CUK, where's the drinks cabinet?

Two months on this new contract and still no work.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Any change you make in life is likely to meet with resistance from people around you, unless it’s an undoubtedly positive change like giving up smoking or getting treated for a booze problem; even then, there’ll probably be people who’ll say you won’t succeed.

Any change that has a degree of uncertainty just worries a lot of people a bit. Many people cling to the false security of doing the same thing every day, in the same way in the same place, with the same people. Many of those people end up on the scrapheap, dumped by a boss at HQ who’s never met them, because the quarterly figures, over which they have little or no influence, were 0.5% below “analysts’ expectations”.

Basically, if you want to lead an enjoyable life and give your family and enjoyable life, you need to be prepared to make regular changes; no publicly owned company will show loyalty to employees when there’s an extra dollar to be earned by replacing them or sacking them; you shouldn’t show them loyalty.

You’ll find as soon as you get into your first contract that you feel free; you will feel more confident about what you can achieve. That confidence will help you sell yourself to clientcos and to those you deal with at clientco. You will feel more free, because you will be free.

Get on with it. Your life belongs to you, not to the naysayers.

Oh, and don't lick the chutney spoon in Indian restaurants; you don't know where it's been (sorry folks, I know that's an old one but it still cracks me up).
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        There is just one last nagging doubt - if you aren't sure and you need to ask whether you should jump or not then are you sure you are up to it?
        Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        and to be honest at times your family/partners being a bit negative about you contracting is going to be the very least of your worries. If you are getting yourself wound up about someone elses opinion then you are going to find it very tough in a office full of negative permies.
        Not the "if you have to ask, you aren't cut out for it" spiel again. It's a total change to your lifestyle and if you don't know many contractors you don't really know what to expect. Anyone who makes such a decision without asking for advice and thinking it through carefully is not taking it seriously enough.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Not the "if you have to ask, you aren't cut out for it" spiel again. It's a total change to your lifestyle and if you don't know many contractors you don't really know what to expect. Anyone who makes such a decision without asking for advice and thinking it through carefully is not taking it seriously enough.
          I don't see why my quote is the 'if you have to' ask spiel. My comment was around who he is speaking to in the context of his original post. You are totally right in what you say but the OP is specifically talking about negativity from family and friends not fellow contractors.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 12 August 2010, 07:47.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Mis-read you then, my point stands but count yourself not in my cross-hair
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The 'classic' contractor is smart, outgoing, but just could never fit into the corporate machine.

Let me put it another way...

When you were at school did you sit at the back of the class (and piss about) but still got the top mark in the exam? If "yes" then go contracting
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
              X