• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily rates and hourly rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
    I honestly don't understand most of that but in particular:
    what does
    mean?
    Because they ask me to work all those extra hours I invoked the contract terms and invoiced them for all the overtime I did, that increased my invoice payments by nearly 50%

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Lover View Post
      Because they ask me to work all those extra hours I invoked the contract terms and invoiced them for all the overtime I did, that increased my invoice payments by nearly 50%
      Ahhh sort of making sense now - You invoiced something like 50% more than you had originally expected because you worked something like 50% longer. Fair enough. I assume you were working away from home so didn't have anything better to do - or not as 50% increase in wonga is never a bad thing (50% more work in exchange could be argued either way).
      Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
      Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Typically contracts specify a "professional working day" of either 7.5 or 8 hours.

I guess it depends on the client, but I've never had an issue claiming overtime where required.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
          I usually have the conversation very early on in the contract:

There are times you will want me to work longer than 8 hours (or whatever you're signed up to). Do you want me to:

a) Down tools and leave
          b) Pay overtime
          c) Have a gentleman's agreement that if I work 10 hours one day I can claw some back another day when things are quiet

Almost everyone says c.
          IME contracts require a "professional day" and don't specify what that might be, leaving it open to be "whatever is required to get the work done".

And whenever I have asked those questions a-c), the answer has been d) we expect you to work as a professional and do whatever is required.

Mention of the word "overtime" has just got me withering "you're not getting this are you" looks.

So I say again, your rate should cover it, if it doesn't then you are not being paid enough and contracting is not as good an option as it looked.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

OK. Example then....

£250/day at 8 hours a day is £33.33 an hour. £250/day at 12 hours a day is £20.83. BIG difference.

Bottom line is do you insist on standard day being 8 hours max to stop clients taking the piss or do you trust them not to?

Personally, I've no problem working 12 hours on the odd occasion if needs be with normal days being 7.5/8 hours but would be wassed off if it happened all the time.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

cancelled !

Comment

It's simple

If you do 8 hours on a daily rate you bill 1 day. When you do the occasional, and I stress the word occasional 10 hours you swallow it as necessary. However once you walk into an office that decides that 12 is normal you make it known that you are charging 1.5 days per day.

If they don't like it you get up at 7.5 hours and go home every day until they get the point or sack you because you are not a dumb as the rest of the office. Either way you have not lost out and you didn't squeeze a 9 month gig into 6 months ruining your health and life in the process.

Time = ££

If the customer doesn't like this offer there is always the point to be made that you are not charging at double or even treble time. Or the discussion that suggests a rate increase to the equivalent of 10 hours per day, in return for a more intrusive day...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  It's simple

If you do 8 hours on a daily rate you bill 1 day. When you do the occasional, and I stress the word occasional 10 hours you swallow it as necessary. However once you walk into an office that decides that 12 is normal you make it known that you are charging 1.5 days per day.

If they don't like it you get up at 7.5 hours and go home every day until they get the point or sack you because you are not a dumb as the rest of the office. Either way you have not lost out and you didn't squeeze a 9 month gig into 6 months ruining your health and life in the process.

Time = ££

If the customer doesn't like this offer there is always the point to be made that you are not charging at double or even treble time. Or the discussion that suggests a rate increase to the equivalent of 10 hours per day, in return for a more intrusive day...
                  Agreed about the occasional bit. Never have or will have an issue with this.

Just I've been away from contracting for 10 years and back then it was all hourly rate and now I see this new daily rate thing. Heard from friends who've been shafted by clients expecting 10-12 hours EVERY DAY.

Just wondered really if anyone bothered making provision for this possible piss taking in the contract or whether they just did as this poster suggests? i.e. Bill for 1.5 days if its regularly taking the piss and see what happens....

Like I said a nice contract rate working 7.5/8 hrs most days with the occasional 10 hr if things go off is a LOT different to working 10-12 hrs every day. Sorry but I'd rather a lower daily rate and a life to go with it.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X