• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily rates and hourly rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily rates and hourly rates

Going back to contracting after 10 years away. One thing I notice is that it all mostly seems to be daily rates rather than hourly rates these days?

In the past, it was a case of work more hours in a week, get paid more. Do clients now expect overtime as part of the daily rate for free? Or do you still consider a 'day' to be 7.5 hours or so?

Just a bit concerned that I'm going to bump into a client who expects 12 hour days for his 'daily' rate !!!!
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Ensure that the contract defines a professional working day, if you are worried about it.

Simples.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Just a bit concerned that I'm going to bump into a client who expects 12 hour days for his 'daily' rate !!!!
      You will. That's why they do it.

There is always a risk that more work will be needed than has been planned for. With an hourly rate, the client is taking that risk. The "professional day" is a way of transferring the risk from the client to the contractor. IMHO that risk is higher when the party creating the risk (the client) is not the party taking the risk (the contractor).

Your rate should take this risk into account, if it doesn't then contracting is not a good deal.
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
        You will. That's why they do it.

There is always a risk that more work will be needed than has been planned for. With an hourly rate, the client is taking that risk. The "professional day" is a way of transferring the risk from the client to the contractor. IMHO that risk is higher when the party creating the risk (the client) is not the party taking the risk (the contractor).

Your rate should take this risk into account, if it doesn't then contracting is not a good deal.
        Rate per hour changes dramatically if your paid a daily rate and expect to work 12 hours as opposed to 7.5 !!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Ensure that the contract defines a professional working day, if you are worried about it.

Simples.
          Is it normal to insist on this?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Is it normal to insist on this?
            It's called negotiation.

If you want something in the contract, then negotiate and get it in the contract. If you want a red carpet welcome on day one, it's not normal to insist on it, but if it's something that you want then that is what you need to do - no-one else is going to wipe your nose for you and get you what you want.

You seem to worry too much about what other people think and want - you are in business for yourself and no-one else, so start acting like a business.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Its very simple if the contract states a professional working day then work a minimum of 7.5 hours (not including lunch). I don't believe that contractors should hang around every evening until the cleaners have even left. No one will think better of you for it, in fact it will more than likely piss off all the permies.

Comment

I usually have the conversation very early on in the contract:

There are times you will want me to work longer than 8 hours (or whatever you're signed up to). Do you want me to:

a) Down tools and leave
                b) Pay overtime
                c) Have a gentleman's agreement that if I work 10 hours one day I can claw some back another day when things are quiet

Almost everyone says c.
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

I wouldnt sign the contract until it said 40 hours per week and I'm on a daily rate, which is grate as they work flexi time so I dont have to be up before I go to bed to in work monday morning or hit the rush hour on friday to travel home. Its stuff like this you should ask your agent once you get the offer.. i always do.. I signed a 40 hour a week spread over 5 days contract for a massive US company doing a goverment job in Leeds, they thought I would sleep under desk like the dum permies working there.. in the end I nearly made 50% on the contract.. they even asked me if I would drop the overtime invoice for a renewal .. !!!! Put it this way 18 months later an agent asked me if i wanted to take another contract with them.. i wasnt in work at the time but I still held out for something else.. and it paid off with a dream contract... oh and if they ask you to work say Sat morning.. thats a full day evening if you go home at 11:00.. frankly if they are takng the piss you dont want to go back anyway so make sure before you sign anything to ask about - out of hours -overtime - and on call payments.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Lover View Post
                    I wouldnt sign the contract until it said 40 hours per week and I'm on a daily rate, which is grate as they work flexi time so I dont have to be up before I go to bed to in work monday morning or hit the rush hour on friday to travel home. Its stuff like this you should ask your agent once you get the offer.. i always do.. I signed a 40 hour a week spread over 5 days contract for a massive US company doing a goverment job in Leeds, they thought I would sleep under desk like the dum permies working there.. in the end I nearly made 50% on the contract.. they even asked me if I would drop the overtime invoice for a renewal .. !!!! Put it this way 18 months later an agent asked me if i wanted to take another contract with them.. i wasnt in work at the time but I still held out for something else.. and it paid off with a dream contract... oh and if they ask you to work say Sat morning.. thats a full day evening if you go home at 11:00.. frankly if they are takng the piss you dont want to go back anyway so make sure before you sign anything to ask about - out of hours -overtime - and on call payments.
                    I honestly don't understand most of that but in particular:
                    what does
                    in the end I nearly made 50% on the contract.. they even asked me if I would drop the overtime invoice for a renewal
                    mean?
                    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
                    Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Working...
                    X