• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily rates - do you insist on a max hours per day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily rates - do you insist on a max hours per day?

Yes. 8hrs max otherwise its overtime.
    11.76%
    No. I'll trust the client not to take the piss.
    70.59%
    Yes. I might insist on a proviso in the contract but wont charge them extra for the off occasion
    11.76%
    No. I dont mind working 12 hours every day.
    5.88%
    Last edited by psychocandy; 4 May 2011, 19:18.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Mostly I'm paid a shed load of money so I just do the "professional day" thing. I'm not going to piss them off by being a clock watcher, I'll do the extra hours when needed and then claw it back in flexitime. If something kicks off then I'll stay late to fix it and expect a bit of goodwill from the client.

I know some clients will try to take the piss, that's part of doing business. If it's happening all the time then I'd have a word with them and come to some arrangement. If they won't work something out then I'd find a new job.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      Mostly I'm paid a shed load of money so I just do the "professional day" thing. I'm not going to piss them off by being a clock watcher, I'll do the extra hours when needed and then claw it back in flexitime. If something kicks off then I'll stay late to fix it and expect a bit of goodwill from the client.

I know some clients will try to take the piss, that's part of doing business. If it's happening all the time then I'd have a word with them and come to some arrangement. If they won't work something out then I'd find a new job.
      WHS

When you're charging hundreds of pounds per day you don't want to come across as a whiner.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Yeh. I agree with you on all of this.

However, not experienced personally but heard some horror stories of clients really taking the piss expecting 11-12 hours EVERY DAY.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

That last phrase is an essential part of contracting.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Your contract should state how many hours you are required to do a week. Divide that by 5 and do those hours, if your feeling charitable then go ahead and do extra hours. All this talk about being paid hundreds a day therefore you should work extra is bulltulip, you are paid that because of the value you bring.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
              Your contract should state how many hours you are required to do a week. Divide that by 5 and do those hours, if your feeling charitable then go ahead and do extra hours. All this talk about being paid hundreds a day therefore you should work extra is bulltulip, you are paid that because of the value you bring.
              Not having to work extra but if an extra 30 minutes is needed to get something finished you don't want to be sat there tapping your £1000 watch saying !I don't think so"!
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                Your contract should state how many hours you are required to do a week. ....
                "Should"? That's the question: if it doesn't (which it usually doesn't), what do you do about it?
                Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Not having to work extra but if an extra 30 minutes is needed to get something finished you don't want to be sat there tapping your £1000 watch saying !I don't think so"!
                  Of course I will stay all night if there is deadline and its my responsibility, however I would take time off when there was less pressure, if not paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                    "Should"? That's the question: if it doesn't (which it usually doesn't), what do you do about it?
                    Ive never had a contract that doesn't state the weekly hours. I would find it extremely strange if that was missing.

Comment

Working...
                    X