• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hi out of contract contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Correct. I'm a greasy caff owner with a fishing rod that doesn't have £1M in assets. What should I do ?
    ftfy
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Thanks DaveB, MrMark and alreadyPacked for attempts at a sensible response and suggestions. (the Signal to Noise ratio is always a bit of a frustration on these anonymous forums).

One problem you face is that everyone has a different view of the way forward....

- An example might be whether to submit a short or long CV in a difficult market.

I imagine the client spending just 20 seconds on each new application - which obviously favours a concise resume -
      as against automatic selection software (or agents!) who count the number of references to say .NET in previous roles, favouring more extensive CVs and weeding out poorer candidates in the process.

In any case, it seems that the more willing you are to push for every role by tailoring applications and following up with agents, the more likely it is you'll meet with success. You sense that's the prevailing view amongst those who're taking the issue seriously.

It's not easy, it's frequently depressing, but it helps to know you're not alone and that at least there's some consensus.

Comment

certainly a very helpful thread ( well some anyway )

I have 3-4 CV's for roles (mainly desktop support \ infrastructure\Server management) But my main CV did get me to final interview with Blackrock (a notoriously tricky process). problem is in a month, we run out of money. a bit scary really.

had 5 agencies do introductories in the last 3 days, which is better than the last 4 weeks. I guess it'll happen when it happens...... now where's the golf clubs

Comment

Working...
        X