• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting after career break

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to contracting after career break

Hello all

after a ten year stint as a java developer I left my old job to have a career break, I now want to get back into the development game again and having read up, I feel contracting is the way to go. My question is, am i going to be struggling to get my first contract? My worry would be that anyone reading my CV would see that I hadn't worked for a year then bin it straight away. I've not exactly been idle in the past 12 months, I've done some major building work to the house and I've even done some development too - I've got an iPhone app on the app store and a couple more in the pipeline. I'm thinking however, that this is going to be irrelevant to anyone wanting to hire me for my java skills.

Any advice would be appreciated (even if its forget contracting and go back to perm)

cheers.

Originally posted by jcuk View Post
    Hello all

after a ten year stint as a java developer I left my old job to have a career break, I now want to get back into the development game again and having read up, I feel contracting is the way to go. My question is, am i going to be struggling to get my first contract? My worry would be that anyone reading my CV would see that I hadn't worked for a year then bin it straight away. I've not exactly been idle in the past 12 months, I've done some major building work to the house and I've even done some development too - I've got an iPhone app on the app store and a couple more in the pipeline. I'm thinking however, that this is going to be irrelevant to anyone wanting to hire me for my java skills.

Any advice would be appreciated (even if its forget contracting and go back to perm)

cheers.
    Do you have a company? You could say you were developing in house mobile apps as a project that lasted a year.

Comment

I'd say that it depends on how interesting and relevant the work you were doing before was and how well it looks on your CV.

The place I'm working at at the mo would not care much about the year's break, as long as your previous experience was relevant to the business they'd get you in for an interview.

Comment

Working...
      X