• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving from staff to contract, in the same job/company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from staff to contract, in the same job/company?

I am considering taking the plunge from staff to contract, but wanted to know, before going out to the market, has anyone had a discussion with their current employer on changing from a staff position to contract? Was it successful, and how did you go about it?

May seem an odd one I know, but thought I would ask all the same...

Thanks for any guidance/advice
    robm21

Originally posted by robm21 View Post
    I am considering taking the plunge from staff to contract, but wanted to know, before going out to the market, has anyone had a discussion with their current employer on changing from a staff position to contract? Was it successful, and how did you go about it?

robm21
    Have you considered the IR35 implications of doing that?

Comment

robm21
      Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
      Have you considered the IR35 implications of doing that?
      And if you dont understand that question you need to do some more reasearch on what being a contractor really means.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

has anyone had a discussion with their current employer on changing from a staff position to contract? Was it successful, and how did you go about it?
        Welcome!

There is a pretty good discussion of it here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-employer.html

The quick answer is: don't even think about suggesting permie to contractor to your employer, it's bad karma.

1. You will be caught by IR35 and pay a load of tax (don't ask us what IR35 is, read the first timers guide linked on the right)
        2. Your contracting hourly rate should be permie salary / 1000 and your employer will balk at that and get pissed off at you
        3. You will damage your relationship with your employer by suggesting it to them because they will then know that you are intending to leave the job.
        4. If your employer does accept the arrangement then they could go and sack you the next day with no redundancy etc.

If you want to go contracting, you have enough cash at hand to cover at least 6 months worth of living expenses and you are being offered an hourly rate which is permie salary / 1000 then go for it. Otherwise, stick with being a permie.

Good luck!
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
        X