• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hi, I just got offered my first contract. I'm scared

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not about being welcome...

Anyway, go to www.pcg.org.uk and download their Guide to Freelancing. It will explain everything; it's even been updated to cover off the AWR (say what?). Anything you still don't understand (and there will be lots, believe me), come back and ask better questions.

And contractors - all 1.4 million of us - are anyone who don't want to work for an employer. There aren't any grades, despite what the cubicle dwellers may try and tell you. I usually need the h/w support and the service desk teams rather more than I need assorted coders, tbh...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Not about being welcome...
      Indeed, perhaps the fact that I don't program means I'm not worth the time of some people.

Anyway, go to www.pcg.org.uk and download their Guide to Freelancing. It will explain everything; it's even been updated to cover off the AWR (say what?). Anything you still don't understand (and there will be lots, believe me), come back and ask better questions.

And contractors - all 1.4 million of us - are anyone who don't want to work for an employer. There aren't any grades, despite what the cubicle dwellers may try and tell you. I usually need the h/w support and the service desk teams rather more than I need assorted coders, tbh...
      That is brilliant advice, thanks! Will formulate better questions, but more and more things are getting answered! That guide is brilliant, thank you. I don't think I would have found that otherwise!

Suffice to say, this initial contract was a complete mistake. The umbrella company seems great from what I'm digging up, however the companies involved are really doing a bad job of communicating.

All I'm going to do with this, is try and get a reference, and work every bloody hour possible, as well as some strong words on monday morning about why there still isn't a contract for me on the day I start.

Lesson learned, but hopefully I'm gathering enough information now to make sure that I'm doing all of the right things for my next contract

Comment

Originally posted by photomile View Post
        I will also be having some strong words with the recruiter as I have no contract, just a site contact and an 'offer letter' as well.
        The consensus here is that working without a signed contract is very dangerous. I presume your offer letter sets out the basics like your rate, payment terms, duration and notice period (although the latter seems to be meaningless most of the time so don't expect any notice period and don't come crying to us if they bin you without warning).

You should aim to have the contract emailed to you before the close of business on Monday. Take a bit of time to read the contract, they try to put some nasty stuff in there sometimes and feed you some line that "all our contractors accept this".
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          without a signed contract is very dangerous.
          Don't have a problem without a signed contract but more concerning seems to be the lack of knowledge in the field. After Uni was perm for 10+ years (client facing CRM/SQL/Crystal etc) and took me 2 years to get a handle of the pros and cons of contracting; only after those 2 years research I made the move and never looked back since (7+ years in contracting). Not as many years as some of the vets on here but a wealth of experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            The consensus here is that working without a signed contract is very dangerous. I presume your offer letter sets out the basics like your rate, payment terms, duration and notice period (although the latter seems to be meaningless most of the time so don't expect any notice period and don't come crying to us if they bin you without warning).

You should aim to have the contract emailed to you before the close of business on Monday. Take a bit of time to read the contract, they try to put some nasty stuff in there sometimes and feed you some line that "all our contractors accept this".
            agreed, there's a few things covered in there but I won't be starting unless I have something in writing!

Can you give me any examples of clauses to watch out for? Standard things I can work out but if there are specific things they like to put in to catch contractors out etc

keninparis - as already stated, pound signs were the motivation and yeah there's a lack of knowledge since within the space of a weekend I've had to make the decision to do a contract. I have already lost my home. I have been thrown in at the deep end and not necessarily out of choice however I'm making the best of this situation that I can

Comment

agreed, there's a few things covered in there but I won't be starting unless I have something in writing!

Can you give me any examples of clauses to watch out for? Standard things I can work out but if there are specific things they like to put in to catch contractors out etc

keninparis - as already stated, pound signs were the motivation and yeah there's a lack of knowledge since within the space of a weekend I've had to make the decision to do a contract. I have already lost my home. I have been thrown in at the deep end and not necessarily out of choice however I'm making the best of this situation that I can
              No offence intended; just trying to help - bon chance. Let me know how you get on.

Comment

Originally posted by keninparis View Post
                No offence intended; just trying to help - bon chance. Let me know how you get on.
                Not to worry

Put it this way... It's now a personal challenge to do this as best as I can, so I will aim to do you proud (and myself)

Comment

Not to worry

Put it this way...
                  good luck buddy! (didn't realise I was your pimp)

Comment

Originally posted by keninparis View Post
                    good luck buddy! (didn't realise I was your pimp)
                    What happens in Paris....

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about a contract on the first day, as long as you have something in writing (or email) from the agent setting out the basic conditions and pay.
                      Two problems with not having a contract
                      - you won't be insured (so don't break/touch anything)
                      - you won't get paid

So keep harassing. Try to get the umbrella co to do the legwork - they won't get their fee if you don't get paid.

It gets easier ... trust me
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X