Moving in and out of banking? Moving in and out of banking?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...

    Rebel is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    47

    Default Moving in and out of banking?

    Hi all,

    I am new to this site and this is my first post. I have been reading through the forums quite a bit though and have found the info very helpful.

    Bit if background - I have been a contractor for about a year with one six-month contract and two three-month contracts all at different banks.

    I am currently looking fir my next contract and have been offered a three-month but from sky which is outside of banking. What I wanted to know is - does it look bad on my cv if I take this contract especially since I would like to go back to banking? Ideally speaking I would like to be open too other industries and nit just banking but I am not sire how this looks. I fear that people will think I am not focused on a particular field. But the reality is that I like to do what I do but for different industries. I am essentially a programmer and data analyst btw.

    Also how will it look if I have had my last three contracts all shirt term I.e. 3month contracts. Some people frown on this right? I do a good job in each contract but it may seem that I am spreading myself too thin perhaps.

    Thank you in advance for any advice!

  2. #2

    Fingers like lightning

    v8gaz is a permanent contractor

    v8gaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    685

    Default

    Moving in and out of banking is no problem, I've been doing that for almost 20 years.

    That short gig thing could be a problem. Why do you never get extended, or take it if they off

  3. #3

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer is a fount of knowledge

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hi all,

    I am new to this site and this is my first post. I have been reading through the forums quite a bit though and have found the info very helpful.

    Bit if background - I have been a contractor for about a year with one six-month contract and two three-month contracts all at different banks.

    I am currently looking fir my next contract and have been offered a three-month but from sky which is outside of banking. What I wanted to know is - does it look bad on my cv if I take this contract especially since I would like to go back to banking? Ideally speaking I would like to be open too other industries and nit just banking but I am not sire how this looks. I fear that people will think I am not focused on a particular field. But the reality is that I like to do what I do but for different industries. I am essentially a programmer and data analyst btw.

    Also how will it look if I have had my last three contracts all shirt term I.e. 3month contracts. Some people frown on this right? I do a good job in each contract but it may seem that I am spreading myself too thin perhaps.

    Thank you in advance for any advice!
    for
    outside banking
    CV
    to
    not
    short

    Quote Originally Posted by v8gaz View Post
    Why do you never get extended
    Attention to detail?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  4. #4

    Still gathering requirements...

    Rebel is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Well so far my contracts have been for a specific piece of work which I end up completing on time. It's a good thing really as the client is happy they have got it all completed. Some people say I should drag out the work but like to be task orientated and get the job done.

    The only problem is once I'm done then there is no more work in that particular dept.

  5. #5

    Still gathering requirements...

    Rebel is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    for
    outside banking
    CV
    to
    not
    short



    Attention to detail?

    Point taken - I rushed the message a bit!

  6. #6

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer is a fount of knowledge

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Well so far my contracts have been for a specific piece of work which I end up completing on time. It's a good thing really as the client is happy they have got it all completed. Some people say I should drag out the work but like to be task orientated and get the job done.

    The only problem is once I'm done then there is no more work in that particular dept.
    Make sure that you make that clear on your CV and when talking with agents.

    I have a four week gig on my CV, when I was brought in to fix a specific list of problems - client explained on day one that it wasn't going to turn into a long-term (or even three month) project. Fix the problems, then f*** off.

    It was one of my favourite projects, but a number of agents have questioned it because it looks strange in amongst the long-term projects.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  7. #7

    Fingers like lightning

    Notascooby has no reputation

    Notascooby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Flying the pinky-ponk
    Posts
    690

    Default

    I nearly went to Sky but held out for another gig. Nothing wrong with a bit of time away, should be refreshing to go into a more can-do way of working.

  8. #8

    Banned

    pacharan has no reputation


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Hi Rebel.

    Always liked that name.

    Very sexy.

    I hope you're a lady.
    Anyway, Welcome to CUK!

    Hope to see you over in general for a bit of badinage in the not too distant.

    Oh, by the way. Do you see that little star at the bottom left of this section? Just above where it says reply to thread?

    Well, be a good chap and move your pointer over the star, left click it and check the radio button that says "I Approve" in the ensuing pop up div.

    You can write any old bollocks in the comment section. Click ok and the job's a goodun

  9. #9

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak is always on top

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    20,372

    Default

    And here's some from me for asking for rep without deserving it.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

  10. #10

    Seriously Banned

    Troll is NOT a disguised employee

    Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gods own Country
    Posts
    12,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I have a four week gig on my CV, when I was brought in to fix a specific list of problems - client explained on day one that it wasn't going to turn into a long-term (or even three month) project. Fix the problems, then f*** off.
    It was one of my favourite projects, but a number of agents have questioned it because it looks strange in amongst the long-term projects.
    It's never happened to me but if it did I think I'd word it as "Consultancy" on the c.v.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •