• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving in and out of banking?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving in and out of banking?

Hi all,

I am new to this site and this is my first post. I have been reading through the forums quite a bit though and have found the info very helpful.

Bit if background - I have been a contractor for about a year with one six-month contract and two three-month contracts all at different banks.

I am currently looking fir my next contract and have been offered a three-month but from sky which is outside of banking. What I wanted to know is - does it look bad on my cv if I take this contract especially since I would like to go back to banking? Ideally speaking I would like to be open too other industries and nit just banking but I am not sire how this looks. I fear that people will think I am not focused on a particular field. But the reality is that I like to do what I do but for different industries. I am essentially a programmer and data analyst btw.

Also how will it look if I have had my last three contracts all shirt term I.e. 3month contracts. Some people frown on this right? I do a good job in each contract but it may seem that I am spreading myself too thin perhaps.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Moving in and out of banking is no problem, I've been doing that for almost 20 years.

That short gig thing could be a problem. Why do you never get extended, or take it if they off
    World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
      Hi all,

I am new to this site and this is my first post. I have been reading through the forums quite a bit though and have found the info very helpful.

Bit if background - I have been a contractor for about a year with one six-month contract and two three-month contracts all at different banks.

I am currently looking fir my next contract and have been offered a three-month but from sky which is outside of banking. What I wanted to know is - does it look bad on my cv if I take this contract especially since I would like to go back to banking? Ideally speaking I would like to be open too other industries and nit just banking but I am not sire how this looks. I fear that people will think I am not focused on a particular field. But the reality is that I like to do what I do but for different industries. I am essentially a programmer and data analyst btw.

Also how will it look if I have had my last three contracts all shirt term I.e. 3month contracts. Some people frown on this right? I do a good job in each contract but it may seem that I am spreading myself too thin perhaps.

Thank you in advance for any advice!
      for
      outside banking
      CV
      to
      not
      short

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
      Why do you never get extended
      Attention to detail?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Well so far my contracts have been for a specific piece of work which I end up completing on time. It's a good thing really as the client is happy they have got it all completed. Some people say I should drag out the work but like to be task orientated and get the job done.

The only problem is once I'm done then there is no more work in that particular dept.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          for
          outside banking
          CV
          to
          not
          short

Attention to detail?

Point taken - I rushed the message a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
            Well so far my contracts have been for a specific piece of work which I end up completing on time. It's a good thing really as the client is happy they have got it all completed. Some people say I should drag out the work but like to be task orientated and get the job done.

The only problem is once I'm done then there is no more work in that particular dept.
            Make sure that you make that clear on your CV and when talking with agents.

I have a four week gig on my CV, when I was brought in to fix a specific list of problems - client explained on day one that it wasn't going to turn into a long-term (or even three month) project. Fix the problems, then f*** off.

It was one of my favourite projects, but a number of agents have questioned it because it looks strange in amongst the long-term projects.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I nearly went to Sky but held out for another gig. Nothing wrong with a bit of time away, should be refreshing to go into a more can-do way of working.
              Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Hi Rebel.

Always liked that name.

Very sexy.

I hope you're a lady.
                Anyway, Welcome to CUK!

Hope to see you over in general for a bit of badinage in the not too distant.

Oh, by the way. Do you see that little star at the bottom left of this section? Just above where it says reply to thread?

Well, be a good chap and move your pointer over the star, left click it and check the radio button that says "I Approve" in the ensuing pop up div.

You can write any old bollocks in the comment section. Click ok and the job's a goodun

Comment

And here's some from me for asking for rep without deserving it.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    I have a four week gig on my CV, when I was brought in to fix a specific list of problems - client explained on day one that it wasn't going to turn into a long-term (or even three month) project. Fix the problems, then f*** off.
                    It was one of my favourite projects, but a number of agents have questioned it because it looks strange in amongst the long-term projects.
                    It's never happened to me but if it did I think I'd word it as "Consultancy" on the c.v.
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X