• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Current Permie Future Contractor (hopefully)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Permie Future Contractor (hopefully)

Hi

Little introduction to myself as hopefully I will be spending some time here learning from you lot!

28 years old, engaged, 2 year old kid... based in the West Midlands (there is the personal details)

Working at a Financial Services firm as a permie, started in IT in 2009 on Service Desk...... 2nd line in early 2010, 3rd line in early 2011, Service Design in late 2011 and have been working on infrastructure projects since then. The next logical step for me is to go contracting!

In terms of qualifications, MCSA 2003 is the only cert I have but in my job have large amounts of Windows 2008 R2 and VMware knowledge and limited exposure to Citrix (XenApp 4.5)..... also have worked a lot with HP and IBM hardware, DMZ infrastructures (we host services for third parties and have file transfer links to partner firms), good knowledge of SQL administration, limited SQL programming including SSRS, good Biztalk administration, SCCM 2007..... basically most things you would expect to see in a medium to large environment,

Starting to get itchy feet in the permie world mainly due to management and politics... endless restructuring and uncertainty over the definition of roles. Work with a couple of contractors and a few ex-contractors and they all think that the contractor world would be good for me. Oh, also subject to TUPE at the moment too.

Planning on getting a few Citrix certs and VCP done before going contracting in the next 3-6 months. A few projects that im working on at the moment will look nice on CV so by the end of the year should be in a good position.... but at the moment some contracts roles are looking too tempting to wait.

Notice is 4 weeks, however i'm owed leave so think i could get out in 2.

Got a lot to read about IR35 etc etc so i'm on that now.

Get the feeling i'll be using this site a lot!

Do you guys think its worth waiting to get the VCP and Citrix certs before jacking in the permie world??

Are any others based in the Midlands finding that the contractor world is healthy at the moment?

Thanks for reading my babble all and look forward to talking with you!!

In the contracting world there is little 'certainty', but good luck.
    Last edited by oscarose; 30 June 2012, 10:46. Reason: added key point
    one day at a time

Comment

First rule of contracting - do your own research. A quick look at jobserve for Citrix contracts fo rhe last 5 days gave me 34 results, several of which are duplilcates, one or two of which are in the Midlands and mostly paying around £250-£300 a day (you ain't going to get the Solution Architect roles, after all).

With a young family and an uncertain market, make sure there's work you can do out there before you jump. this is a brutal business right now. Also the best guide to freelancing is the PCG one; download it from www.pcg.org.uk and study it carefully. It's not all about IR35.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Do you have enough money in the bank to be out of work for 6 months? The first contract is always the easiest one, you are still safe and sound in permie land and can wait till you have something lined up. You won't have that luxury when the first contract comes to an end.

Are you willing to work away from home? You have a young kid, are you willing to spend most of your time away from them because all the work is in London? (or some other non-commutable location). Will your other half be happy about being left with all the child care duties when you are away?
        If not see the first point, you are more likely to be out of work if you can't be flexible about location.

Given your current skill set and level you are going to struggle to get more than £300 per day tops imo, in general terms things are tough all over and being flexible about location is going to be essential to make sure you stay in work.

Right now I'm assuming you get a company pension. Pensions are expensive, and now is the time you should be making the effort to plan for the future, not in 20 years time. Will your likely rate allow you to put money aside in whatever form to cover this. Permie pensions are basically free money and you need to account for this. Other permie benefits are not so important imo, but the pension is one that is definitely worth something.

It's your call, and only you can make the decision, but in your shoes I'd stick it out a bit longer, get to the point where you can realistically go for Architect level roles and then think about making the jump. If you are not happy where you are, maybe look for a new permie role instead of taking the risk of contracting now (and it is a risk).
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
        X