• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

I have finally taken the plunge and decided to go contracting! Taken me since January to decide, the CV has been online for 4 days and I have an interview today in the city! Woop! 6 months rolling, lets see how it goes!

The market doesn't seem too bad!

Jake

Originally posted by jaketame View Post
    Hi all,

I have finally taken the plunge and decided to go contracting! Taken me since January to decide, the CV has been online for 4 days and I have an interview today in the city! Woop! 6 months rolling, lets see how it goes!

Jake
    If one is in the top ten percent with regards to experience, skill set and academic record and shows a certain level of humility at the interview, the market is always strong.

Else, it’s a roll of the dice...

Welcome to the show

Comment

I have an interview today in the city!

Is this the point that you discover there are far more experienced contractors out there and that the competition is cut-throat?

Comment

Have you read all the guides, aware of IR35, 24 month rule and about getting your contract checked if you get that far?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by insur View Post
          If one is in the top ten percent with regards to experience, skill set and academic record and shows a certain level of humility at the interview, the market is always strong.

Else, it’s a roll of the dice...

Welcome to the show
          Ooo, sounds great, altough I have no idea if im in the top ten percent!

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          Is this the point that you discover there are far more experienced contractors out there and that the competition is cut-throat?
          Most likely their is however I still feel everyone has a fair chance!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Have you read all the guides, aware of IR35, 24 month rule and about getting your contract checked if you get that far?
          Check, I have an accoutant that provides contract reviews plus ir35 reviews, aware of the 24 month rule as well.

Now too the good news, thus company walked me out the office, I continued to walk to the tube, a light tap on the shoulder to advise that they would like to offer me the contract!

-----------

The agency is now drawing up the 12 month contract which I should have by friday.

All in all its going well so far! Now to save enough to be prepared to be out of work for 6 months!

Comment

Now to save enough to be prepared to be out of work for 6 months!
            Plan for 12, in my opinion. Hopefully the extra earnings from a 12 month contract will give you this or thereabouts if you keep your spending at current levels.

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
              Plan for 12, in my opinion. Hopefully the extra earnings from a 12 month contract will give you this or thereabouts if you keep your spending at current levels.
              Thanks for the extra advice. I shale plan for 12 instead.

Comment

All in all its going well so far! Now to save enough to be prepared to be out of work for 6 months!
                Ahhh, you should have had that saved up before you started my lad.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                  Ahhh, you should have had that saved up before you started my lad.
                  No way could I have saved enough money to cover a year out of work on a relative small income! Only 22!

Comment

No way could I have saved enough money to cover a year out of work on a relative small income! Only 22!
                    Be careful when visiting general then young man. Those offering sweets and take take you home to show you their rabbit are not all they seem.

Comment

Working...
                    X