• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another permie thinking he can do a contractor's job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another permie thinking he can do a contractor's job

Hello all, another nervous newbie here looking to move back into contracting after too long as a permie. I've started the ball rolling and set up the limited company but I'm leery of jumping, what is the market like for an IT Manager with 15 years generalist skills?

You should search the newbie guides ------------------------>

Comment

Originally posted by UsefulG View Post
      Hello all, another nervous newbie here looking to move back into contracting after too long as a permie. I've started the ball rolling and set up the limited company but I'm leery of jumping, what is the market like for an IT Manager with 15 years generalist skills?
      Tis not too bad G. There's always work to be found
      one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyD View Post
        You should search the newbie guides ------------------------>
        You could be more helpful.

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post

I thought that piece of advice might make me 'CUK Forum Personality Of The Year 2013'

Comment

I thought that piece of advice might make me 'CUK Forum Personality Of The Year 2013'
            I’m unfamiliar with this award. What are the credentials for the candidates?!

Maybe I'm in with a shout.

one day at a time

Comment

I’m unfamiliar with this award. What are the credentials for the candidates?!

Maybe I'm in with a shout.

From my research, it appears this title is held by a poster known as NLUK.

If you bothered to try using the search facility, you would know that !

Comment

From my research, it appears this title is held by a poster known as NLUK.

If you bothered to try using the search facility, you would know that !
                What NLUK won't tell you is that for the previous two years it was me.

So clearly being irritating is a key requirement.

As for the OP's question, it's not that clever for generalists. The agencies are awash with candidates, and awash with tits with three month's experience pretending to be agents sifting the applications (the bigger ones have taken this further and use key word searching to select CVs...) If you aren't already doing the specific role now you likely won't get anywhere, no matter how good you are at it. Be very careful about what goes in the CV, and before you call the agent to talk about the role, look them up on LinkedIn, just to check they know enough to blow their nose without a user manual and so may be able to make a decision.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

And 'Tis not too bad G. There's always work to be found ' is helpful?

Reading the guides is the best piece of advice you can give the OP and others in this situation. It has a wealth of knowledge to go research before asking daft questions.

NLUK didn't know Mal was the winner the 2 years before lol....

But I do agree with Mal, Contracting isn't really a place for generalists. They might be useful when they get in a gig but trying to get the gig first is going to be incredibly difficult.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you for backing me up Mr UK !!

I learned evrything I know from you

Peace & Regards,

Joe !!

Comment

Working...
                    X