• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is a contractor life better the higher up the food chain you are?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Not sure what rate a "higher end" starts at but I would imagine if you are good then finding work is easier as reputation gets around and direct assignments might be easier too - if you are no good then....
    If/When you get to the point where you begin to get repeat business from previous clients then the problems you may encounter will begin to disappear.

My existing client has called me back up on two occasions full knowing what they'll get ... the job done and also a bout of what's come to be known as 'testing tourettes' every now and again.

I've never been felt I've been treated badly in a contract, but the expectation for a contractor is higher then for the permie scum.

Comment

I don't know what I was worrying about ...

7 weeks in:
      1. My boss is lovely (honestly) and basically just lets me get on with stuff with no interference, probably helps she is in another country
      2. Most colleagues are friendly
      3. Physical working environment is outstanding
      4. I'm not being worked too hard (so far)
      5. Some interesting foreign travel

I better make the most of it whilst it lasts!!

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
        boss
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
          LOL... I meant 'client'

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
            I was thinking about Senior Manager / Head of Function roles and upwards. In terms of rates, I can only gauge by what I know London/South East wise and excluding FS - about 600-700 plus/day...
            The roles are there, not as many or as frequent, and London and the South West can command those rates and higher for Senior Roles : although the trend lately seems to be that these are being offered as FTC, which for me defeats the object of contracting - you are a permie but with a defined end date.

Whatever level, there are the same moans as any other contractor really, and on the downside is you end getting embroiled in the corporate BS you thought you were leaving behind.

Also, less chance of renewals so you must make sure you have a decent war-chest ( which is good practice regardless of what role you are, so need to factor in looking to secure the next role early into your gig, which is problematic.

Plus, fewer roles, so preferred location choices sometimes need to go by the wayside if you don't want a long sit on the bench.

Good Luck !
            If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post
              The roles are there, not as many or as frequent, and London and the South West can command those rates and higher for Senior Roles : although the trend lately seems to be that these are being offered as FTC, which for me defeats the object of contracting - you are a permie but with a defined end date.

Whatever level, there are the same moans as any other contractor really, and on the downside is you end getting embroiled in the corporate BS you thought you were leaving behind.

Also, less chance of renewals so you must make sure you have a decent war-chest ( which is good practice regardless of what role you are, so need to factor in looking to secure the next role early into your gig, which is problematic.

Plus, fewer roles, so preferred location choices sometimes need to go by the wayside if you don't want a long sit on the bench.

Good Luck !
              Sorry should have worked from the last post backwards lesson learned !
              If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Working...
              X