• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking to contract after life as a permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to contract after life as a permie

Hi all..came across this site and decided to register.Anyway some information required on the current contract market in the South East if possible.

Here is a brief rundown of experience / work / expectations etc..
    Age 43 / In IT since 1990 / mostly permanent but did contract in London from 96-2000 / currently in Northeast.
    Previous roles - Desktop support/Second line support / System Admin / IBM AS400 operations / Support analyst/ Senior support officer.
    Previous perm roles = five in total ( two made redundant from)

Operating systems - Windows (from 95 to present) / Novell-Netware /IBM AS400

Applications (Microsoft, Novell / numerous bespoke etc/ various email systems Outlook & Lotus notes , Active directory,
    Altiris/Zenworks, Symantec,Adobe,Network management,Arcserve,Veritas,Ghost,Partition magic,Snapshot,Zenworks etc

Other related – Server installs ,Server support, desktop fit out, / comms / switches/ DHCP/Vlans/port patching etc / Group policy/wireless setup and wi-fi,telephone systems(Cisco and Avaya) / VPN / RSA security /Antivirus (sophos/Mcafee)/ AV systems (polycom) / Printers ( various) / DR testing and recovery / Blackberry + server / Support desk software (Remedy - Assyst) / Builds/imaging / support of PC's/Laptops ( HP/DELL/IBM to name a few ) / Handhelds Domino admin+ Domino server/, Epos systems, Backup, Restores ,BYOD ,Citix thin client Remote desktop support (RDP )
    Also AS400 operations general support – Hardware/software/Controllers/User ID / scanners / handhelds

Training/certification –Itil 3.0 / All Windows OS (7,Vista,XP,2000 etc ) A+ hardware & software /Server 2003 / Cisco networking / MCP / NCA /HP Desktop and laptops /Lotus Notes 8/8.5 / Sophos administrator

Supported various user bases from 150 up to 120000
    Field support and site based , on call ,out of hours support , senior role supporting junior staff, deputized for management.
    User facing roles from standard users, up to manager and director levels.
    Confident and knowledgeable on all aspects of IT , excellent customer services etc, can hit the ground running !

Worked for well recognized companies mostly US/UK ( Nike ,Warner Lambert ,Pentland brands ,Costco,Newcastle United FC , Orange,plus local government ,North Yorkshire county council and currently with large Government backed financial company for last five years.
    I am CTC and DV cleared for 10 years since last year. CRB since 2011

So looking at relocating to South East (Hertfordshire area as I have relatives here ).
    Not naive to think it will be difficult to get started plus house prices are a little more ambitious down south although Hemel/Watford/Luton etc appear to be more affordable, my main relatives house is on the FCC line just past Radlett so journey into central London in about 20-25 mins, although can jump off at Kentish Town and take tube.

Role wise I have noticed a number of financial institutions offering 6-12 month roles on average rates of around £200-400 per day.
    Now I know these could just be fake adverts by agencies to get you hooked but a couple of questions to you guys on the front line should we say :

Can I realistically get these rates with the above skills ?
    Are desktop support roles in demand and is there a large pool of contractors already in this area ?
    Is the contract market for support roles buoyant enough ?
    Although working currently for a finance company I do not have experience of trader software so will this be a sticking point ?
    Although I consider myself a support person I am possible borderline 3rd line / supervisor management but lacking of some experience.

Sorry for the long winded post but better to be as honest as possible from the off to show what I can offer and what is available.

Hi, welcome.
    Sorry, can't answer your specific questions in any detail as I am not in that field.

Replying mainly to say that you shouldn't be disclosing your DV clearance on public forums - you need to be careful about that.

Would only comment on your "I am possible borderline 3rd line / supervisor management but lacking of some experience."

Clients pay for Contractors to get experience/skills they can't get in-house. Most recruiters are looking to see evidence of experience in given skill sets on your application / cv. So if this isn't a strong area I would suggest sticking to your core skills, which you can prove experience of : humble opinioin based on trying for some roles myself that I had done "some" of, but no real examples of excellence, really fell down on interview over them, so lesson learned

Good luck iwth whatever you decide to do.
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post
      Hi, welcome.
      Sorry, can't answer your specific questions in any detail as I am not in that field.

Replying mainly to say that you shouldn't be disclosing your DV clearance on public forums - you need to be careful about that.

Would only comment on your "I am possible borderline 3rd line / supervisor management but lacking of some experience."

Clients pay for Contractors to get experience/skills they can't get in-house. Most recruiters are looking to see evidence of experience in given skill sets on your application / cv. So if this isn't a strong area I would suggest sticking to your core skills, which you can prove experience of : humble opinioin based on trying for some roles myself that I had done "some" of, but no real examples of excellence, really fell down on interview over them, so lesson learned

Good luck iwth whatever you decide to do.
      I think you have captured very succinctly what clients want, i.e. with plenty of supply in many types of roles, clients can pick and choose those with a significant demonstrable track record in a particular skill set.

Comment

Originally posted by moonboy View Post

Role wise I have noticed a number of financial institutions offering 6-12 month roles on average rates of around £200-400 per day.
        Now I know these could just be fake adverts by agencies to get you hooked but a couple of questions to you guys on the front line should we say :

Can I realistically get these rates with the above skills ?
        Impossible for us to say as you don't say what the roles are.

Are desktop support roles in demand and is there a large pool of contractors already in this area ?
        Not sure about that area but would have thought you would be in competition with half of India.

Is the contract market for support roles buoyant enough ?
        It is very quiet even for skilled/niche roles so I would say it will be tough at the moment. Also depends on whether or not you are willing to work away from home and not just in the big smoke.
        Although working currently for a finance company I do not have experience of trader software so will this be a sticking point ?
        Shouldn't be if you have the correct skills

Although I consider myself a support person I am possible borderline 3rd line / supervisor management but lacking of some experience.
        Forget trying to get a gig in anything you are borderline on. The whole idea of getting a contractor in is they client can get a highly skilled and experienced person in to hit the ground running. They don't take contractors on to teach them or help them gain skills. There will be plenty of people with 10's of years in the skills you are borderline in. Forget them, it will just be a waste of time.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X