• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Introduction - returning from USA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction - returning from USA

Hello, I have been in IT since 1974, a Project Manager for over 30 years and PRINCE certified in 1992, last recertification this year.

I have been over 10 years in the US most recently in Healthcare EHR/EMR/EPR implementations and currently working on the Affordable Care Act rollout. I am the PM for the Primary Care Association covering Wyoming (3,000 sq miles larger than the UK!)

In May 2014 when this contract ends I am looking to return to the UK permanently so need to re-establish some contacts for assignments. I shall come to the UK in March for 2 weeks to visit all the agencies personally - if people have recommendations on the best agencies to prioritise I would be grateful for your opinions. Ideally I will be looking anywhere out of London

Thank you.
    <mod snip of poster's full name and quals - leave that kind of thing for LinkedIn PDA, unless you REALLY want to be associated with us! )

Originally posted by PDA View Post
    Hello, I have been in IT since 1974, a Project Manager for over 30 years and PRINCE certified in 1992, last recertification this year.

I have been over 10 years in the US most recently in Healthcare EHR/EMR/EPR implementations and currently working on the Affordable Care Act rollout. I am the PM for the Primary Care Association covering Wyoming (3,000 sq miles larger than the UK!)

In May 2014 when this contract ends I am looking to return to the UK permanently so need to re-establish some contacts for assignments. I shall come to the UK in March for 2 weeks to visit all the agencies personally - if people have recommendations on the best agencies to prioritise I would be grateful for your opinions. Ideally I will be looking anywhere out of London

Thank you.
    <mod snip of poster's full name and quals - leave that kind of thing for LinkedIn PDA, unless you REALLY want to be associated with us! )
    Hmmm, good luck with that. If that works in the US you are going to have a hell of a shock when you get here.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have been over 10 years in the US most recently in Healthcare EHR/EMR/EPR implementations and currently working on the Affordable Care Act rollout.
      Not sure I'd brag about that - do the websites work yet?

I shall come to the UK in March for 2 weeks to visit all the agencies personally - if people have recommendations on the best agencies to prioritise I would be grateful for your opinions.
      Not sure that's a good idea. And you aren't going to cover all the agencies in that time period - there's a few. Don't know anyone who has bothered with a personal visit, to be honest - spend your time looking for roles and getting connected.

Ideally I will be looking anywhere out of London
      Good luck with that one.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I am the PM for the Primary Care Association covering Wyoming (3,000 sq miles larger than the UK!)
        Did you know that Wyoming has a population smaller than the city of Glasgow?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
          Did you know that Wyoming has a population smaller than the city of Glasgow?

And if you want to move in to the NHS you will be working with the 5th biggest employer in the world. 5 times more people than live in Wyoming. Your numbers don't see that impressive now

Comment

Yeah, don't mention the ACA rollout, eh?

Are you a US citizen? If so, you may want to think about your set-up in the UK and ongoing IRS reporting requirements, which are painful if you retain US citizenship and want to start a Ltd here (much more painful than just the FBAR and FACTA).

Comment

Disappointed

I am kind of disappointed with the mostly negative and almost abusive responses. Indicates a lack of maturity.

Comment

I am kind of disappointed with the mostly negative and almost abusive responses. Indicates a lack of maturity.
                If you read the responses without the british sarcasm undertones ( probably invoked by "3,000 sq miles larger than the UK!" quip),the the posters have offered you some good advice :
                • You won't get round all the agencies in two weeks, and personal visits are definately not the norm here - spend the time looking for roles and networking
                • If you're looking to get into the NHS, as the 5th largest employer in the world the previous "3000" miles quip in respect of your last project won't make you a shoe in - and the responder did add to their post to show some humour rather than nastiness in their response.
                • If you are a US Citizen then you need to consider how to set yourself up here. It is difficult enough for us nationals !

If you spent/spend sime looking on this forum you will see that the "regulars" have their own brand of banter which isn't always tempered for the uninitiated ( I know, I throw a tantrum 2 days in !), but there is a wealth of information to be had if you
                a) approach the subject without inviting handbags at dawn ( with quips like having dealt with projects that are not renowned successes)
                and
                b) recognise the forums are populated with individuals, with individual personalities and styles. Written words are often misconstrued not everyone sits and tempers them with appropriate smileys, winks, frowns etc

Welcome !

And good luck with your visit / move
                If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Could try Mumsnet if you want an anonymous internet bulletin board cuddle.

Comment

Welcome to contracting in the UK - if you can't take some honesty, then you might want to consider your choice of career path / location.

If you are unable to filter the comments for the useful information, then you may find that working in the public sector in the UK a struggle.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Working...
                    X