Permits to live in Europe floated for expats

Living in an EU country post-Brexit could require Britons to have long-term residency visas that may be tied to proof of income, it was reported yesterday.

In fact, settling in an EU member state might be governed by a system similar to the one already in place for non-EU nationals who want to live there, the Telegraph reported.

Although Brits living in an EU nation today are not likely to be affected, a Home Office source suggested the host country would in future want proof of savings to decide settlement.

Family links with the country are further possible conditions of the system, which was said to be twofold in that there might be one regime for long-term permits and another for residency.

Editor's Note: Related Reading -

Rudd raises prospect of £50 EU business pass

UK Statutory Residence Test - overview for contractors

Brexit: Shrewd IT contractors will make hay while the sun shines

Printer Friendly, PDF & Email

Sign up to our Weekly Newsletter

Keep up to date with everything in the world of contracting.


Contractor's Question

If you have a question about contracting please feel free to ask us!

Ask a question