Contractors' Questions: How to withdraw my limited company’s funds?

Contractor’s Question: What’s the least taxing way to take £4,000 out of my new limited company, bearing in mind that the money is the only funds I’ve put into my business bank account due to me still being a permie, albeit an enterprising one who earned the money IT contracting during annual leave? Will I have to pay corporation tax; VAT or anything else? I’m looking for the cheapest way to get my hands on the £4k.

Expert’s Answer: So you’ve got a limited company and want to withdraw the funds and avoid a big tax bill? This is absolutely possible but it’s entirely relative to the total amount of income you earned during the year.

As a full-time employee, it’s likely that your employment income for the year will exceed the £11,000 tax-free personal threshold, making you liable to pay tax on any additional income. As a company your income would be taxed at 20%, regardless of its turnover, so the money available to you after paying tax would be £3,200, which would have to be withdrawn as dividends.

And from 2015/16, there’s a dividend relief so you won’t pay tax on the first £5,000 of dividends. Therefore, in this instance, the only taxes due on the £4,000 would be just the corporation tax.

However, if you were to withdraw more than £5,000 of dividends while earning more than £11,000, then these additional dividends would be subject to tax at the band rates 7.5%, 32.5% and 38.1%, dependent on your overall earnings.

Regarding VAT, you would have to be a VAT-registered business to charge it to your client then pay it to HMRC. VAT registration is mandatory if your turnover exceeds £82,000 and voluntary if you choose to be, so unless you’re VAT-registered you wouldn’t have to pay VAT on your income.

The expert was Chris Conway, managing director of Accounts and Legal.

Wednesday 25th May 2016
Profile picture for user Simon Moore

Written by Simon Moore

Simon writes impartial news and engaging features for the contractor industry, covering, IR35, the loan charge and general tax and legislation.
Printer Friendly, PDF & Email

Sign up to our newsletter

Receive weekly contractor news, advice and updates.

Every sign up will be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon Vouchers.

* indicates required