Contractors' Questions: Can I net IT contracts via Tier 2 general visa?

Contractor’s Question: I'm on a Tier 2 (General) visa, working for a consultancy. I would like to consider the opportunity to become an IT contractor under my own 'brand'. I’m unsure if this is possible on a Tier 2, as I won't have a sponsor from the direct employer. What would I need to do in order to go contracting?

Expert’s Answer: You do not need to inform UK Visas and Immigration of any supplementary employment (which includes self-employed contract work) and it is fine to carry this out, as long as it is:

  • in either a job which is included on the Shortage Occupation List in Appendix K of the Immigration Rules or a job in the same profession and at the same professional level as the work for which your Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned; and
  • it is no more than 20 hours per week; and
  • it is outside of the normal working hours for which your Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned; and
  • in addition, you must continue to work for your sponsor in the job recorded on your Certificate of Sponsorship.

The expert was Amy Sarraff, a solicitor who specialises in immigration law at Redfern Legal LLP.

Editor’s Note: Related Reading – Contractors’ Questions: Can I get IT work if already on a Tier 2 visa?

Wednesday 26th Nov 2014
Profile picture for user Simon Moore

Written by Simon Moore

Simon writes impartial news and engaging features for the contractor industry, covering, IR35, the loan charge and general tax and legislation.
Printer Friendly, PDF & Email

Sign up to our newsletter

Receive weekly contractor news, advice and updates.

Every sign up will be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon Vouchers.

* indicates required