IR35 Forum's November minutes published
The main talking point of the latest IR35 Forum meeting seems to be that contractors will soon be at tribunal appealing against the taxman’s decision that they are caught by the rule.
The November 2014 meeting of the forum also heard that:
- Future minutes of the forum will, following agreement by members, be “shorter” in length, recording just “key points raised and actions.” Whether ‘shorter’ means less informative is not specified in the minutes.
- HM Revenue & Customs will look (again) at the way it provides help and guidance to customers of its Contract Review Service amid ongoing concern about “perceptions” that it’s not confidential. One IR35 case was in fact triggered by using CRS.
- Government departments are “now aware” that the Business Entity Tests will be withdrawn from April 6th 2015, but BETs will remain online until April 5th 2015.
- HMRC will consider using the Examples/Scenarios it scrapped with the BETs “in guidance in future where appropriate.”
- HMRC will hold a separate meeting on the return requirements for the intermediaries legislation, in light of “HMRC’s failure” to inform all forum members about the consultation on those requirements.
18th March, 2015