Contractors' IR35 calendar: 2016/17
Following updates by HM Treasury, the IR35 Forum and HM Revenue & Customs, a number of events affecting contractors can now be added to the 2016 and 2017 calendars.
- Consultation on reforming IR35 in the public sector closes
- Chancellor Philip Hammond delivers his first Autumn Statement on November 23rd
(Editor's Note: Autumn Statement 2016: wishes sent to the chancellor)
- All public sector departments should have established regular reviews of their need for contractors, covering the time in post and the progress made in filling more of their posts with permanent staff
- BETA version of digital tool to test for IR35 unveiled
- All public sector departments must have produced a strategic workforce plan covering the next five years and detailing expected skills gaps and how the gaps will be filled by consultants and temporary staff
- Chancellor Philip Hammond delivers his first Budget statement
- Departments lagging behind with their strategic workforce plan to be named
- Update on the regular contractor staff reviews (that were established by Autumn 2016; see above)
- New IR35 rules for public sector PSC contractors take effect
- Guidelines for government departments to reflect the new rules revaluated by HM Treasury
- Departments to immediately review if off-payroll PSC contractors should be PAYE
- All departments to review the calculation of tax for a sample of any temporary staff who continue to be contracted as a company (PSC).