Contractors' Questions: Can I freelance for my employer on a Tier 2 visa?

Contractor’s Question: I’ve been working at the UK office of a US-based firm on a Tier 2 ICT visa for the past 2 years. Can I use the same visa if, I quit my job, to work directly for the UK office as a contractor? 

Expert’s Answer: The Tier 2 visa you mention is specific to that employer and is in respect of employed work. If you were to quit your job, the visa will terminate.

You cannot use that visa to work as a self-employed contractor in the UK. To be self-employed, you would need to apply for a Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa, which would require £200,000 in cash and a business plan.


The expert was Tom Redfern, senior partner at Redfern Legal LLP.

Editor’s Note: Related Reading –

Contractors’ Questions: Can I get IT work if already on a Tier 2 visa?

Contractors’ Questions: Must my visa sponsor be my direct employer?

Contractors’ Questions: Can I net IT contracts via Tier 2 general visa?

Tuesday 17th Feb 2015
Profile picture for user Simon Moore

Written by Simon Moore

Simon writes impartial news and engaging features for the contractor industry, covering, IR35, the loan charge and general tax and legislation.
Printer Friendly, PDF & Email