• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BET's scrapped

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BET's scrapped

HM Revenue & Customs: IR35 Business Entity Tests

Is this HMRC admitting they were wrong
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    HM Revenue & Customs: IR35 Business Entity Tests

Is this HMRC admitting they were wrong
    Worth a but makes me wonder what they will come up with instead.

Is it worth trying to get a low BET score just before they close the scheme to avoid any IR35 investigation for a few years?
    Last edited by DaveB; 27 October 2014, 08:49.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

That's good news, let's hope this isn't an attempt to come up with something more complicated.
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        That's good news, let's hope this isn't an attempt to come up with something more complicated.
        Oh I fully expect them to come up with BET v2. The old ones were an obvious "be worried so best treat yourself as inside IR35" tactic, they won't give up such an easy win scenario.

Comment

The tests have no legal standing so I've never seen the point in them!

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Is it worth trying to get a low BET score just before they close the scheme to avoid any IR35 investigation for a few years?
          That wouldn't work, the article states that the BETs will not be considered for any IR35 enquiry opened after 6th April next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
            The tests have no legal standing so I've never seen the point in them!

That wouldn't work, the article states that the BETs will not be considered for any IR35 enquiry opened after 6th April next year.
            Ah, misread it. Fair enough.

Comment

The review found the BETs were not helping customers as they're:
              used very little
              not fulfilling their intended purpose
              The intended purpose of course being to put more companies into IR35.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Can't they go and bother the construction industry instead? Both my brother and brother in law are raking it in and they never seem to pay much in tax or NI
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Worth a but makes me wonder what they will come up with instead.

For those that did not read until the end of the announcement

HMRC will also withdraw the example scenarios published with the BETs from 6 April 2015. There are no plans to replace the BETs or example scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    For those that did not read until the end of the announcement
                    Doesn't mean they won't bring in something else entirely. I read that as meaning the existing tests themselves (the actual questions) won't be replaced.

Comment

Working...
                    X