• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offsite business meetings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pacontracting View Post
    Section 338 ITEPA 2003 allows a deduction for the full cost of travel for necessary attendance. Where employees use their own vehicle or bicycle for business travel a deduction is given at statutory mileage allowance relief rates and not for actual costs, see EIM31626.
    I choose to keep my company business (a separate legal entity) and personal life separate.
    Is attendance necessary? Yes. Is the location and overnight stay necessary? No.

Chances of getting away with it are anorexic. Chances of getting caught aren't, though, so you might as well keep doing it.

On the grounds of not being likely to get caught, you might as well add in a few extras as well, make it more exotic, fancier meal, better wines, after dinner drinks and a show etc.

Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I choose to keep my company business (a separate legal entity) and personal life separate.
      You might want to reconsider this. HMRC allow tax relief to those who use a home office. You could be missing out.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
        Or Devcon in Las Vegas
        Exactly !!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Is attendance necessary? Yes. Is the location and overnight stay necessary? No.

Chances of getting away with it are anorexic. Chances of getting caught aren't, though, so you might as well keep doing it.

On the grounds of not being likely to get caught, you might as well add in a few extras as well, make it more exotic, fancier meal, better wines, after dinner drinks and a show etc.

Hell, I can't even think about doing anything business related if I'm not sharing a hot tub in Las Vegas with a few strippers

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            Hell, I can't even think about doing anything business related if I'm not sharing a hot tub in Las Vegas with a few strippers
            Exactly. Now you are thinking like a businessman. HMRC have nothing to say about how you spend your company money provided the spend is classified correctly and you pay the correct tax. If you don't earn it - you can't spend it.

In this case, it wouldn't be tax deductible so you would need to get a few clients together and classify it as corporate entertainment ( non-deductible but allowable). This effectively saves you 25% if you are a higher rate tax payer and you may get some business out of it (although dinner and a few drinks may be more appropriate).

Obviously you can't do this as an Umbrella worker as the Directors of the umbrella company would need to make it part of your duties.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
              A typical Saturday morning at Mr & Mrs Pacontracting's house.

pac "Good morning dear. Would you like a coffee?"
              Mrs pac "Yes, dear. Thanks"
              pac "It's a lovely day. We should go for a walk"
              Mrs pac "You've got a letter from HMRC"
              pac "DON'T OPEN IT IN THE HOUSE!"
              Mrs pac "Why not?"
              pac "I choose to keep my company business and private life separate. Cancel the walk. We'd better book a hotel in (town 50 miles away) so I can read it".
              LOL!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                A typical Saturday morning at Mr & Mrs Pacontracting's house.

pac "Good morning dear. Would you like a coffee?"
                Mrs pac "Yes, dear. Thanks"
                pac "It's a lovely day. We should go for a walk"
                Mrs pac "You've got a letter from HMRC"
                pac "DON'T OPEN IT IN THE HOUSE!"
                Mrs pac "Why not?"
                pac "I choose to keep my company business and private life separate. Cancel the walk. We'd better book a hotel in (town 50 miles away) so I can read it".
                Equally, JRCT's house

mrsjrct "We need more money"
                jrct "Just get it from our account - my wages went in yesterday"
                mrsjrct "I can't. It's in that new fangled business account your accountant told us to set up"
                jrct "How much is in there"
                mrsjrct "It's overdrawn by about £2k
                jrct "ok - take out a couple of grand then"
                mrsjrct "shall I just set up a direct debit to take out a couple of grand every month? Much easier"
                jrct "ok. By the way, the bank sent a debit card. Just take cash out on this if you need it"
                mrsjrct "When's our tax due? I'm sure I saw a letter from HMRC under the cat's basket. Come to think about, little Jane had another one. Bless her, she likes colouring in all the circles next to the £ sign in red to match the letter heading"
                jrct "Don't know - our accountant will sort that out. Just putting the statements in the envelope now"
                mrsjrct "Do you want me to post it?"
                jrct "Thanks. Second class mind you. We don't NEED to sent it first class."
                Last edited by pacontracting; 29 October 2014, 13:29.

Comment

Equally, JRCT's house

mrsjrct "I can't. It's in that new fangled business account your accountant told us to set up"
                  mrsjrct "shall I just set up a direct debit to take out a couple of grand every month? Much easier"
                  jrct "ok. By the way, the bank sent a debit card. Just take cash out on this if you need it"
                  mrsjrct "By the way, when's our tax due? I'm sure I saw a letter from HMRC under the cat's basket"
                  jrct "Don't know - our accountant will sort that out"

Comment

God I hate these posts where someone asks a question with absolutely no intention of listening to the feedback and then goes on a crusade to justify it. They are just pointless.

Move to general IMO.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Equally, JRCT's house

mrsjrct "When's our tax due? I'm sure I saw a letter from HMRC under the cat's basket. Come to think about, little Jane had another one. Bless her, she likes colouring in all the circles next to the £ sign in red to match the letter heading"
                      jrct "Don't know - our accountant will sort that out. Just putting the statements in the envelope now"
                      mrsjrct "Do you want me to post it?"
                      jrct "Thanks. Second class mind you. We don't NEED to sent it first class."
                      Close. But it's more likely.

mrsjrct "Ok. Actually, there's loads in here. We don't need more money after all".
                      jrct "Yes, that's because it hasn't been spent on unnecessary trips to hotels to 'talk about business stuff' that could easily be discussed over a coffee at home"
                      mrsjrct "You're a very astute business man"
                      jrct "I know"
                      mrsjrct "Fancy a 'coffee'?"

Comment

Working...
                      X