• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scam Alert

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scam Alert

If you receive a very official letter purporting to be about "publication of companies and VAT Registration Numbers in the UK Corporate Portal 2015" asking for info, DO NOT under any circumstance complete and return it. Looks official but the next thing you'll get is a bill for £797. I'd post up a pic but I don't have permissions.

http://t.co/SNk6NqBXV1
    http://t.co/SNk6NqBXV1

Comment

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Damn! That's my current Plan B out of the bag......

Comment

Cheers for the heads up.
          Got one of them last year. Didn't notice the invoice bit, but binned it anyway.

Comment

Cheer for posting pics. Don't know if it was a lack of permission or brains :-)

We received 40 or so this morning - managed to fool our Administrator who thought it was from some government department.

Comment

Thanks for this - well timed, got one in the post this morn!

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                If you receive a very official letter purporting to be about "publication of companies and VAT Registration Numbers in the UK Corporate Portal 2015" asking for info, DO NOT under any circumstance complete and return it. Looks official but the next thing you'll get is a bill for £797. I'd post up a pic but I don't have permissions.
                So you got caught, Alan?
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  So you got caught, Alan?
                  Not at all. Although it nearly sneaked past admin. I saw it and it just didn't look right. As you can imagine I see a lot of letters from government departments and this looked wrong immediately. And when you read it, and specifically the small print, it becomes clear what it is. It might be less clear to others.

Comment

In Switzerland, the royalties collection organisation work the scam in the other way. They send you a form that looks like it's a dubious Spanish lottery win, and then, when you bin it, they collect the 100 Franc fine mandated by law.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X