• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting / short term

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to contracting / short term

Hi, just some advice please...

I have a permanent IT job with another company but get a large amount of holiday time, I have just been offered a short term 2 week IT contract and was just wondering what the best route regarding account would be, Umbrella / Sole Trader / Ltd etc. All pretty new to this and would very much appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Agencies won't touch a sole trader, it seems pointless starting up a Ltd for a few weeks work a year given the paperwork and cost involved so I'd assume umbrella would be the best option.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      Agencies won't touch a sole trader, it seems pointless starting up a Ltd for a few weeks work a year given the paperwork and cost involved so I'd assume umbrella would be the best option.
      +1
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Yup, I'd agree.

Comment

Most umbrellas won't touch you for just two weeks work either.

I'd push for a sole trader arrangement, or find someone who has a limited company who will let you work through them for the two weeks.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

TheFaqqer is correct - umbrella companies won't usually take on an employee for very short term or ad-hoc work
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

For just two weeks, if they wont't pay you as a sole trader, then your only option is probably to be paid under their paye scheme as an employee on a short/fixed contract.

Comment

Surely for a two week contract no agency or umbrella is involved. Just sort something out with the purchasing dept. I would have thought they would be flexible, can't see why they wouldn't accept you as a sole trader. If not it's probably not worth while setting up a Ltd for that amount of work.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Equally, there is no reason an agency could/would not send you in as a PAYE temp in the same way that they would provide say, a cleaner or lorry driver. Only downside is that you would pay tax on a BR basis but you already know that anyway.

Obviously, they would expect some of your rate as their cut but again that much is obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpugster View Post
                    Hi, just some advice please...

I have a permanent IT job with another company but get a large amount of holiday time, I have just been offered a short term 2 week IT contract and was just wondering what the best route regarding account would be, Umbrella / Sole Trader / Ltd etc. All pretty new to this and would very much appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers
                    You should check your current contract of employment to see if there is any clause forbidding you to work for anyone else whilst with current company. I am not an employment expert but think this is standard wording - others on here may be able to clarify further.

Comment

Working...
                    X