• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountancy Firms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountancy Firms

I am moving to a limited company and looking for an accountant, I have read a lot of threads on here suggesting accountancy firms and I have narrowed it down to a shortlist and am hoping from that list the people out there who are cleaver than me could give me their recommendations.

The short list is:
    Forbes Young
    Nixon Williams
    Umbrella.co.uk
    Crunch (but they came out much lower on the overall take home for some reason)

I really like the idea of using something like freeagent or the portal software of someone like Crunch. But then I get accounts saying that a spreadsheet is easier because freeagent etc is account software and you need to understand basic accounting when using it. But I guess they would say that if they don't use some clever software. I am leaning towards Cater Allen for my back account if that’s makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

I've had sterling service from Nixon Williams for several years, I'd happily recommend their service.

Bit surprised that you've not listed InTouch who seem to have plenty of happy customers who post on CUK and I've never heard of the Umbrella lot so no idea where you go that one from.

There is a thread with a list of recommendations kicking about in this section.

Comment

Originally posted by typod View Post
      Crunch (but they came out much lower on the overall take home for some reason)
      I'm not sure how your choice of accountant would affect your take home, apart from the difference in monthly fee they charge.

Comment

Thanks for that.

I was impressed with Nixon Williams as well. Umbrella came from my agency, but the others seem better in my opinion. I posted a bit prematurely InTouch were next on my list to call so I will give them a go as well. I have spoken to so many accounts over the last few days my eyes start to glaze over now.

Comment

Originally posted by typod View Post
          Thanks for that.

I was impressed with Nixon Williams as well. Umbrella came from my agency, but the others seem better in my opinion. I posted a bit prematurely InTouch were next on my list to call so I will give them a go as well. I have spoken to so many accounts over the last few days my eyes start to glaze over now.
          What sort of things do you ask them? What criteria are you going to base your choice on?
          I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            There is a thread with a list of recommendations kicking about in this section.
            Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Go with InTouch - tell Louisa I sent you, get goodies (I think).

Simple.

When I moved from my local accountant, it was between NW and InTouch.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
              I'm not sure how your choice of accountant would affect your take home, apart from the difference in monthly fee they charge.
              I wondered that as well, they came out £800/month lower. But as you said I am not sure that will be accurate given my day rate etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                What sort of things do you ask them? What criteria are you going to base your choice on?
                We spoke about the most tax efficient method of getting paid/using spouse, FRS for VAT, preferred bank, level of service (what they do and what I have to do) etc etc. At the moment my choice will be based on what makes my life the easiest and keeps me legit but efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Go with InTouch - tell Louisa I sent you, get goodies (I think).
                  Ooooo who doesn't like free stuff

Comment

Nixon Williams are great.

Comment

Working...
                    X