• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reckless View Post
    I wonder if HMRC realise what is about to hit them?!
    I rather think they do (they are, after all, reading this forum) and we should be under no illusions that they will have been working in the background to counter TAA at the FTT. I know we're all excited - I certainly am - but let's not forget that HMRC are well capable of dirty tricks, and that FTTs are equally capable of producing contrary decisions. Nothing is certain, except that HMRC know exactly what we're up to and are not going to take it lying down.

That said - the endgame is nigh so bring it on, suckers!

Comment

Originally posted by deckster View Post
      I rather think they do (they are, after all, reading this forum) and we should be under no illusions that they will have been working in the background to counter TAA at the FTT. I know we're all excited - I certainly am - but let's not forget that HMRC are well capable of dirty tricks, and that FTTs are equally capable of producing contrary decisions. Nothing is certain, except that HMRC know exactly what we're up to and are not going to take it lying down.

That said - the endgame is nigh so bring it on, suckers!
      I hope the endgame is nigh.

Comment

Originally posted by orientalist View Post
        Getting the paperwork and details together to join the TAA fight: 3 questions (i did look but couldn't find an answer)
        1: Whats our best guess on likelihood of reprisals for those who go down this route from HMRC after we win?
        2: If reprisals materialise, will that constitue harrassment and we will maintain our collective resolve to out this?
        3: Once in the TAA process can we pull out?
        1. Let's worry about that if/when it happens.
        2. We will hit back if they try any bullying/intimidation. It would be time to call on Members of Parliament again.
        3. You could drop TAA as a grounds of appeal which would leave you where you are now (USCWAP*)

*Clue - the first word is Up

Comment

Originally posted by bananarepublic View Post
          If you look at the APN document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-f-notices.pdf

CTD's are mentioned as follows:

"If a taxpayer has purchased a Certificate of Tax Deposit,
          they can redeem it against the accelerated payment in the
          normal way. Taxpayers in that position should contact
          HMRC as soon as possible to ensure that the amounts are
          allocated in the correct way."

Its not exactly crystal clear, but when they say "redeem it .... in the normal way" they are referring to encashing it for tax. At least that is the case if I take the correspondence from HMRC I had last year at face value.

The person I spoke to said not to cash them in as such. You write to the CTD team (address on the net) and send them the CTD's and you tell them to allocate against the reference in your APN letter. They more or less cash them in and apply the funds to the APN bill you requested them to. Any additional amount you tell them to send it back to you or simply buy an CTD with the remainder. Once MtM confirm my APN amounts to be correct, this is what I will be doing. Remember to keep copies I was told, as the investigations team have no access to the data held by the CTD team and all they see is that the payment was made. So by keeping copies you can prove that you had a CTD and when it was purchased and used against the APN and thus can off-set the interest. The chap that I spoke to said he was with the revenue over 20 years and seemed to know his stuff.

Comment

Deadline for signing up

The 5 days in the newsletter is not a hard cut-off.

We will not turn anyone away if they are late.

Please don't panic if you are having trouble locating Closure Notices etc.

Comment

TAA

All sent and paid.

Looking forward to the forum.

Thanks everyone
              Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
              http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Fog View Post
                All sent and paid.

Looking forward to the forum.

Thanks everyone
                Ditto - I am on board.

great timing NTRT, start of the bank holiday and real optimism

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  We are getting close to the point where we'll be able to fund the FTT cases.

There is no stopping us now.
                  You can count on my contribution too, but it's a standing order which can't take effect immediately (as the bank needs notice to set it up, and there's a bank holiday etc etc). Online application done, and will hunt for supporting docs over the weekend.

Big thank-you to all involved in setting this up: Sterling stuff, folks!

Comment

We need about another 30 people to sign up and we're there

(However, I won't be satisfied unless we get a majority of our 600 members on board but that's just me.)
                    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 22 May 2015, 14:19.

Comment

I've just signed up and paid first instalment, rest will be by SO.
                      Docs copied and ready to post.
                      Raring to go!

Comment

Working...
                      X