• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nearlyover View Post
    I disagree strongly, NTRT didn't kill it - the guys behind NTRT put a huge amount of unpaid time and work in. We would all be in a much poorer position without what went before NTRT and the work that occurred after its creation.

I don't begrudge the call to arms, the creation of NTRT or the membership fee. I don't begrudge TAA as an approach, nor the private forum to discuss it in. I merely, as a paid member, bemoan the reduced sharing of information that has had a material financial impact on my life, and which I had anticipated being a member of NTRT would have helped me with.
    Where did NTRT say that they would support the CUK forum?

Even if they did, the less information that is shared publicly the better. Remember when HMRC produced forum posts to support their case?

I hope that no information is shared here. Also, I want people to pay £900 and join TAA. I struggled to get the money. I have 3 kids, a wife and an ex-wife to support. Sorry if that sounds bitter - I am on the edge of a total breakdown.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Where did NTRT say that they would support the CUK forum?

Even if they did, the less information that is shared publicly the better. Remember when HMRC produced forum posts to support their case?

I hope that no information is shared here. Also, I want people to pay £900 and join TAA. I struggled to get the money. I have 3 kids, a wife and an ex-wife to support. Sorry if that sounds bitter - I am on the edge of a total breakdown.
      I've read over the many years most of your posts BP, I remember HMRC bringing up posts from here, hitting F5 every 10seconds for latest updates from court, DR's FOI requests, Government debates etc. I have a lot of sympathy for your situation and agree with what you say above.

TAA doesn't work for me, I've got the money to sign-up, but for reasons it's not flying for me at the moment. If I had somewhere secure I'd discuss why in more detail but I don't, so I keep my mouth shut - I don't want to provide ammo for the enemy. It makes it partricularly awkward for sure, correspondance with MP I don't put up here for similar reasons.

I'm not looking to make people angry behind their keyboards, life is too short to rage at someone random.
      I joined NTRT early-days, I used to get huge value out of following this thread, that's sadly no-longer the case and I feel like my support group upped and left, I'm no-longer one amongst many. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by nearlyover View Post
        I've read over the many years most of your posts BP, I remember HMRC bringing up posts from here, hitting F5 every 10seconds for latest updates from court, DR's FOI requests, Government debates etc. I have a lot of sympathy for your situation and agree with what you say above.

TAA doesn't work for me, I've got the money to sign-up, but for reasons it's not flying for me at the moment. If I had somewhere secure I'd discuss why in more detail but I don't, so I keep my mouth shut - I don't want to provide ammo for the enemy. It makes it partricularly awkward for sure, correspondance with MP I don't put up here for similar reasons.

I'm not looking to make people angry behind their keyboards, life is too short to rage at someone random.
        I joined NTRT early-days, I used to get huge value out of following this thread, that's sadly no-longer the case and I feel like my support group upped and left, I'm no-longer one amongst many. That's all.

I do feel for you. Unfortunately its a choice of joining TAA and having a support group. Or not.

The support here was not that great anyway. Everything had to be "secret squirrel". TAA is not totally open. But there is a lot more support than on this CUK thread. A lot more.

Comment

I just wanted to give my current feelings regarding our situation.

I have not joined TAA for personal reasons, same as a few others (the minority) on here. Whilst this forum gave great comfort during very bad times it did get flooded with posts at times that were rather irrelevant. It made for an interesting read I dearly miss though

The status for me is: I have been issued with APNs so am in the same boat as everyone else.

APNs were legally challenged by Ingenious Film Group (will watch "Avatar" with different eyes next time ) - but that challenge was rejected by the court (search for "High court dismisses investors judicial review challenge of APNs in Rowe and others vs HMRC" on Google). I find it particularly frustrating that - once again - retrospection is an accepted thing in the courts.

MP are preparing their own challenge against APNs - however given the reasoning in the ingenious verdict I do feel that this challenge will go nowhere as well. Whilst I would of course like to see APNs ruled out as invalid, I am more concerned about the wider underlying issues of our current and future cases and think money should rather be spent on challenging those.

To this day, nobody proved to me that what I did was wrong.

Comment

Sounds like members of NTRT are paying the price of crossing Mr Gittins. Anyone who knows him knows it's his way or the highway.

I'm now even more glad I didn't join.

Comment

Originally posted by ns1 View Post
              Sounds like members of NTRT are paying the price of crossing Mr Gittins. Anyone who knows him knows it's his way or the highway.

I'm now even more glad I didn't join.
              How has anyone 'crossed' WG? Im not aware of anyone from NTRT having issues except if you mean a few not being included in yet another false hope JR. Anyone thinking yet another JR is going to help them is mistaken imo.

WG has kept his word in funding what have just become imho, delaying tactics with hmrc. If he'd been proactive in this mess back in the day, it would probably have been put to bed in 2007.

Glad you didnt join? Yes, so am I!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

What's happened. Are Montpelier effectively dropping those that use the George argument, which, if I understand it - means demonstrating that the MP scheme was never legal in the first place and it was all MPs fault for that - but it's now too late for HMRC to claim against the taxpayer.

If so - probably not a surprise that MP might drop them, but as BB points out - does it matter in the long run. The MP JR was a probably a delaying tactic at best, whereas George might slay the beast.

Comment

September Newsletter

Greetings all

The latest NTRT September newsletter has been sent out this evening to all members.
                  Please email us if you are a member and have not received it by tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks

Santa
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

off topic, I know, but ...

I don't read the Daily Mail, but was pointed towards this article on the man who is quick to brand us as 'morally repugnant'. I thought it would be worth sharing. Lets make it the No 1 best seller for Christmas.

Drugs, debauchery and the making of an extraordinary Prime Minister: For years rumours have dogged him. Now, the truth about the shockingly decadent Oxford days of the gifted Bullingdon boy | Daily Mail Online

Comment

Huitson appeal lost

Hello all,

for those who don't get NTRT newsletters .. the Huitson appeal has been lost.

Details of judgement:

http://www.financeandtaxtribunals.go...99/TC04621.pdf

I wonder if instead of APNs HMRC could now proceed to issue follower notices? ... anyway. Prepare to pay up.

Challenging APNs at this time seems pointless to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X