• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying car using company VAT number

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying car using company VAT number

Ok, this isn't quite the same question about buying a car via the company, but here goes.

I'm looking to buy a car, possibly via auction. In order to register though I need to be a business, so I'm looking to register in my companies name (they ask for a VAT number), but then pay using my own credit card.

So essentially only the invoice will be in the companies name.

How would HMRC view this? Would it be a weak IR35 (not having a clean separation between company and personal business)?

Hi

This would have no impact on your IR35 status.

I can't see an issue if the car will not appear in the company nor have been paid from the company bank account.

Unless the car is to be used in another business that is.

Comment

Originally posted by rashm2k View Post
      Ok, this isn't quite the same question about buying a car via the company, but here goes.

I'm looking to buy a car, possibly via auction. In order to register though I need to be a business, so I'm looking to register in my companies name (they ask for a VAT number), but then pay using my own credit card.

So essentially only the invoice will be in the companies name.

How would HMRC view this? Would it be a weak IR35 (not having a clean separation between company and personal business)?
      Should be no issue as long as the company doesn't actually pay for it.

It has nothing to do with IR35, if you think it does then you need to go read the info under the links on the right hand side.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Nope, literally only need the business details to register, and won't be used in another business.

Comment

Working...
        X