• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does your industry matter when choosing an accountant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Just to be clear, IPSE's contract review service is available discounted to members, but isn't included in the cover (i.e. isn't free).
    Thanks - I saw that; guessing these reviews are more comprehensive than those included with accountancy packages? I'll pay if it's worth it, just don't want to pay and find out it's the same as something I've already paid for!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgirl View Post
      Thanks - I saw that; guessing these reviews are more comprehensive than those included with accountancy packages? I'll pay if it's worth it, just don't want to pay and find out it's the same as something I've already paid for!
      They are more comprehensive.

If you look at some of the posters here they get themselves in a twist over one clause which is often nullified by other clauses in the contract. A comprehensive review should pick up all the similar clauses and warn you if there is a potential issue with them.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think it depends whether you really think you're inside or not (you said you suspected you would be). If it's a grey area (and it usually is) get a review from someone who will negotiate changes on your behalf, read all you can about IR35 and get your head into the idea that you're a business, and keep vigilant once on site so you don't end up being treated as an employee. Join IPSE+ for legal cover (and lots of other benefits) - MGM code IPSEMGM0005 for a £10 amazon voucher for both of us (before that tart FaQQer gets in first!). https://www.ipse.co.uk/member-benefits. £185 + VAT is nothing compared to the extra money if you are outside.

Also read the noob guides - lots available here, at IPSE and free on many of the accountants websites.

If you are really worried, then Qdos do an insurance product that will pay any penalties if you lose as well. Costs about £500 a year or so.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgirl View Post
          The IPSE review is more than just IR35 - it will check for other bad contract terms as well.

Also, the reviewers that IPSE use are then also randomly checked to make sure that they are of a consistently high standard.

FTAOD - I've not used the service, though, so I'm not commenting on the actual quality. Even though I'm with InTouch, I've always used Qdos for my contract reviews.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

If you are really worried, then Qdos do an insurance product that will pay any penalties if you lose as well. Costs about £500 a year or so.
            £50k of cover (more than enough for anyone, I would have thought) is £360 pa. Plus, it's a valid business expense, of course!

Comment

Originally posted by dty View Post
              £50k of cover (more than enough for anyone, I would have thought) is £360 pa. Plus, it's a valid business expense, of course!
              Yes - I thought I'd paid more last year, but you're right.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

IPSE

Thanks everyone! Been quiet as on holiday.

Apologies if I am going massively off topic here but I've been busy. So seems like:

-IPSE membership is good
                -IPSE contract review is good

IPSE website says membership alone is £149+VAT standard, £239+VAT plus

Then I get this quote for membership with an accountancy bolt on, after enquiring via email. This is not with my short listed accountants btw but I am struggling to work out how membership plus accountancy is cheaper than membership alone...anyone shed any light?! Thanks!

Standard Membership

IPSE Standard Single Membership + Accountancy £136.10

IPSE Standard Single Membership + Accountancy & Book Keeping £174.50

Plus Membership

IPSE Plus Single Membership + Accountancy £145.10

IPSE Plus Single Membership + Accountancy & Book Keeping £183.50

Comment

That doesn't make sense - who was the quote from? IPSE or the accountant? Some accountants do offer a discount code for joining IPSE. The figures you're quoting look more like a monthly accountancy fee (although on the high side) than an annual. I'm suspecting a mis-communication somewhere!

Comment

I know you think packages are cheaper and easier but you should look at each product/service separately. Then buy them separately.

This is because if you don't like one you swap one but if you don't like all you are more tied in making swapping a pain.

Virtually every contractor I know has changed their accountant at least once.
                    So find the accountant you like, join them and then get the add-ons as you need.

Also if you are the type to sort out your household bills, banking, etc you don't need book keeping. Contractor book keeping even with multiple clients isn't hard.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That doesn't make sense - who was the quote from? IPSE or the accountant? Some accountants do offer a discount code for joining IPSE. The figures you're quoting look more like a monthly accountancy fee (although on the high side) than an annual. I'm suspecting a mis-communication somewhere!
                      Ahhh...monthly...that explains it - quote is from IPSE, I was trying to work it out. Jetlag clearly not helping here! Thanks! This must therefore be the monthly fee including the bolt on + membership. SueEllen - I wasn't sold on the package but had wanted to enquire what was involved. It doesn't include the accountants I'd really like to go with so will probably go with separate to keep that flexibility as you say.

Comment

Working...
                      X