• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Change tax code using RTI Basic PAYE Tools

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    There is nothing stopping you doing it, but the RTI tool makes it quite clear you should only do it if you have had a P6 for the employee.

If you play by the rules then you can't just change it.
    When has last time HMRC ever made a sensible rule?

Comment

Just done it now. The relevant option is
      "I have received a P9(T) or P9X for the tax year shown at the top of the page, or have viewed the P9X guidance online at GOV.UK." (emphasis added)

So go and read P9X guidance at
      https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../P9X_2015_.pdf
      and it says "Add 60 to any tax code starting L"

Now you can truthfully choose the second option.

Comment

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
        Just done it now. The relevant option is
        "I have received a P9(T) or P9X for the tax year shown at the top of the page, or have viewed the P9X guidance online at GOV.UK." (emphasis added)

So go and read P9X guidance at
        https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../P9X_2015_.pdf
        and it says "Add 60 to any tax code starting L"

Now you can truthfully choose the second option.
        Oh, how do you get to that? The only thing I can find, and this is using a fresh download and clean install from four days ago, of Basic PAYE Tools - Standard Mode, on Windows, is under:

Employer | Manage Employees | Employee | Tax code change

whereupon the text of the actioning option is:

[ ] HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has issued a tax code (P6) for this employee
        or
        HMRC has not yet issued any tax codes (P6) for this employee but I have now received a P45 part 3 from this employee.

Comment

Originally posted by ittony View Post
          Oh, how do you get to that? The only thing I can find, and this is using a fresh download and clean install from four days ago, of Basic PAYE Tools - Standard Mode, on Windows, is under:

Employer | Manage Employees | Employee | Tax code change

whereupon the text of the actioning option is:

[ ] HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has issued a tax code (P6) for this employee
          or
          HMRC has not yet issued any tax codes (P6) for this employee but I have now received a P45 part 3 from this employee.
          You get to it by clicking the link that was supplied in the reply....Doh!

Comment

I think that's the message you get when you are trying to change the code with the previous tax year selected.

Comment

Working...
            X