• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Foreign (EC) contractor working in UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmasoft View Post
    Think you missed the point I was making re foreign companies working in the UK. I am sure that some countries have hoops to jump through but that does not stop one from looking as was implied in the previous post which I was commenting on.

UK agencies are a point in case as they refuse to work with overseas companies in most instancies, but suspect that is more them trying to cover their rears then any legal requirement.
    Fair enough. There's nothing to stop anyone looking for work anywhere.

Comment

Think you missed the point I was making re foreign companies working in the UK. I am sure that some countries have hoops to jump through but that does not stop one from looking as was implied in the previous post which I was commenting on.

UK agencies are a point in case as they refuse to work with overseas companies in most instancies, but suspect that is more them trying to cover their rears then any legal requirement.
      The problem is that contracting is subject to the rules on employment intermediaries and use of PSC's, clients and agencies are obliged to ensure everything is above board otherwise they potentially take a hit. That's why you can use a foreign company but it will need to be adequately registered in the UK, otherwise both clients and agencies will generally ignore you (but not always).
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks for your advice all. I assumed I would get an email when my question was approved so I didn't realize there were already answers.

I can understand why UK companies or agencies wouldn't want to work with foreign companies but I didn't think it would be illegal. Foreign companies must sell their services to the UK all the time without having legal entities there?

I know that it is rather easy to start a ltd in the UK so I might do that but I would rather not have to deal with having two companies with two different set of rules and tax authorities.

Again thanks for giving your time to discuss this

Comment

Originally posted by Asgeir View Post
          Thanks for your advice all. I assumed I would get an email when my question was approved so I didn't realize there were already answers.

I can understand why UK companies or agencies wouldn't want to work with foreign companies but I didn't think it would be illegal. Foreign companies must sell their services to the UK all the time without having legal entities there?
          True but unfortunately when you start digging into the UK market you will realise how little UK agencies and some UK clients understand about tax law and law involving contracts in general.

Your best bet is to set up a UK limited company as they take hours to set up and find a UK accountant. It's not difficult.

The main difficulty you will have is calculating any additional personal taxes you have to pay in Iceland if you are considered resident there also.

Also if you do set up a UK limited company regardless of whether you set it up in England and Wales, Scotland or NI and work through that make sure any contracts you get are checked by a legal expert for both IR35 and general clauses.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            True but unfortunately when you start digging into the UK market you will realise how little UK agencies and some UK clients understand about tax law and law involving contracts in general.

Your best bet is to set up a UK limited company as they take hours to set up and find a UK accountant. It's not difficult.

The main difficulty you will have is calculating any additional personal taxes you have to pay in Iceland if you are considered resident there also.

Also if you do set up a UK limited company regardless of whether you set it up in England and Wales, Scotland or NI and work through that make sure any contracts you get are checked by a legal expert for both IR35 and general clauses.
            Thanks. I will talk to an accounting/legal expert in this area to get an advice before going further.

Comment

Originally posted by Asgeir View Post
              Thanks. I will talk to an accounting/legal expert in this area to get an advice before going further.
              Get the appropriate expert for the corresponding field. So don't get legal advice from an accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Get the appropriate expert for the corresponding field. So don't get legal advice from an accountant.
                In addition don't get tax advice from a general solicitor; speak to a qualified tax solicitor.

Comment

In addition don't get tax advice from a general solicitor; speak to a qualified tax solicitor.
                  WHS but be wary. There are some accountants and lawyers who say they can advise in an area but can't. When tulip hits the fan they disappear.

Comment

Working...
                  X