• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Acct is charging me annual return fee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acct is charging me annual return fee

Hi,
    My accountant's original quotation said the monthly fee would be "All Inclusive of...Annual return submission to companies house".

They have just charged me the £13 CH fee to me saying this is "not their charge". This is my company's first year. What is the convention here, do Accountants fees generally only cover the work needed to submit the return, or should they cover the fee too? "All inclusive" seems fairly unequivocal to me.

Many thanks,
    JF

Originally posted by jolly fellopian View Post
    Hi,
    My accountant's original quotation said the monthly fee would be "All Inclusive of...Annual return submission to companies house".

They have just charged me the £13 CH fee to me saying this is "not their charge". This is my company's first year. What is the convention here, do Accountants fees generally only cover the work needed to submit the return, or should they cover the fee too? "All inclusive" seems fairly unequivocal to me.

Many thanks,
    JF
    No.

If it were unequivocal, it would say "All inclusive of annual return submission AND fee".

Comment

Each Accountants service is likely to vary, sometimes the fee is included, other times this is paid separately by clients.

However check the terms and conditions, it should be clear if the fee you pay includes this service, along with the filing fee of £13.

And if it's included - give them a nudge!

Comment

As it is a fee charged by an outside organisation it is often not included in a fixed fee service.

Comment

Originally posted by jolly fellopian View Post
          Hi,

Many thanks,
          JF
          Hi Jolly,

All accountants will vary on this so you need to refer to your engagement letter/terms and conditions to see exactly what is included in the fixed fee. A lot of accountants will exclude this charge as it is payable to an outside organisation (Companies House), that said, I know of some accountants who do include this fee within the all inclusive service (we do for example).

For the sake of £13 it's probably not going to be a deal breaker for you but give your accountant a nudge and see if they can explain this to you.

Hope this helps.

Martin
          Contratax Ltd

Comment

Ive been with three now and this wasn't included in any. It's a fee on my company so TBH I wouldn't expect it to be included.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Ive been with three now and this wasn't included in any. It's a fee on my company so TBH I wouldn't expect it to be included.
              ^^ This. Does your accountant pay your VAT from fees too ?
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Wouldn't MSC start to be a potential problem if you expect this or is it too small to bee an issue?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Wouldn't MSC start to be a potential problem if you expect this or is it too small to bee an issue?
                  I don't know, what's the buzz from the accountants on here ? Are they trying to hive off extra fees from this ?
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    I don't know, what's the buzz from the accountants on here ? Are they trying to hive off extra fees from this ?
                    We'll help the client complete it where required, but we won't pay the £13 fee. Appreciate it's a bit different, but it's not that dissimilar to us helping a client with their corporation tax return...doesn't mean we pay the liability for them.

I have seen some accountants who actually pay the £13 fee out of their own pocket. No big deal IMHO, it's only £13 once a year.

Comment

Working...
                    X