• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie errors with contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie errors with contract

Hi all
    I am currently in the first month of a three month contract. I still haven't seen any pay as I am under alexander mann with a 30 day payment term.

I have a couple of questions as I feel I may have made a huge mistake....

1) what does the 30 day payment term actually mean? I have been told Ill be paid on the 21st and again on the 29th etc etc so am guessing ill be paid weekly. Does this mean that Alexander mann keep one month back?? will I get a full months pay first then weekly thereafter?

2) I was advised when I took the contract that the rate would go up after I have been here for one month... I am concerned after reading about this agency that I have been far too trusting and my rate will have been agreed at say 400 a day but they are paying me 350.

I worry I am going to have a hard time getting that extra money after this month is up as when I signed the contract I signed up for 3 months at a lesser rate

I am feeling a bit <snip> any help would be great thanks
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 9 December 2015, 07:05. Reason: No winking in the professional forums

1. Yes

2. Yes

Comment

No they pay 4 weeks in arrears, after four weeks you get paid what you worked in your first week. It's not the worst terms and they do pay up.

However you've probably been duped. You will get what is in your contract and nothing more.

Comment

Bit of a tip for you... You are a CONTRACTor. Please read and fully understand anything before you sign it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As others have said, it sounds as if you'll be getting paid weekly, four weeks in arrears. Not sure I've come across precisely that arrangement before, but at least it's weekly once it starts to flow

As far as the increase in rate after the first month is concerned: if you don't have that in writing (email, etc.), then it may be tricky-to-impossible to get it out of them. But who knows, maybe it'll be OK - contrary to what is so often said on here, there are a few agents out there who will keep their word on matters like that. (Just a few )

But don't expect them to bring the matter up. Once you've completed the first month, get on to the agent to remind him or her, and if you do have anything like an email in which it's mentioned, quote that at them. They may give you the brush off, but you may get it. But if you don't raise the matter, it's very unlikely that they'll remember and sort it out.

Comment

Did you record your phone call with the agent?

Nope. Then unless it's in writing you have no proof of what was said.

Yes. Then transcribe it. When you bring it up with the agent, if they ask for proof state you have a transcript of what was said and give it to them. Refuse to give them the recording as it's your own private copy unless they agree to sign a disclaimer stating they won't sue you.
            Last edited by SueEllen; 9 December 2015, 09:03.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by markd78 View Post
              Hi all
              I am currently in the first month of a three month contract. I still haven't seen any pay as I am under alexander mann with a 30 day payment term.

I have a couple of questions as I feel I may have made a huge mistake....

1) what does the 30 day payment term actually mean? I have been told Ill be paid on the 21st and again on the 29th etc etc so am guessing ill be paid weekly. Does this mean that Alexander mann keep one month back?? will I get a full months pay first then weekly thereafter?

2) I was advised when I took the contract that the rate would go up after I have been here for one month... I am concerned after reading about this agency that I have been far too trusting and my rate will have been agreed at say 400 a day but they are paying me 350.

I worry I am going to have a hard time getting that extra money after this month is up as when I signed the contract I signed up for 3 months at a lesser rate

I am feeling a bit <snip> any help would be great thanks
              I'm afraid you might have to suck this one up, as you have signed for 3 months at the lesser rate.

Those payment terms are total carp, in future negotiate better terms to limit your risk exposure.
              AM are a big agency so it is less likely they will go bust, but, then no one is too big to fail, look at Enron
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Did you record your phone call with the agent?

Nope. Then unless it's in writing you have no proof of what was said.

Yes. Then transcribe it. When you bring it up with the agent, if they ask for proof state you have a transcript of what was said and give it to them. Refuse to give them the recording as it's your own private copy unless they agree to sign a disclaimer stating they won't sue you.
                That would be funny. Can imagine the agents face...
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Signed for 3 months on a rate and agent has said verbally I'll see you right and increase this after a month?

Yeh right. And I'm the queen of sheba. Can guarantee that agent will have some excuse why after a month that increase wont be possible.

Bet you havent got it in writing? Like someone said would be funny if you'd recorded it.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Yeh right. And I'm the queen ddraig goch .
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X