• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I accept discounted product from client?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I accept discounted product from client?

Hi,

I am doing some work for a travel agency who have offered who have offered me a discount on a holiday. If I book a holiday through them I would pay full price, but then later they would refund any commission they made on the sale.

Would accepting this affect my IR35 status? It makes me look like part of their company.
    Also the refunded commission would not go though my business account, and I don't want anyone to accuse me of tax evading by taking cash.

Should I just stay clear?

Do they offer all their service providers this discount?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Do all people working at client get it or just permies? That is, if Client engage with a third party consultancy, would the consultants get the "perk" too?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeGeorge View Post
        Also the refunded commission would not go though my business account

Tax evasion and I'm guessing that may get you into trouble under bribery legislation too.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I think subsidised canteens and gyms is one thing. Getting discounts on their main product is a step too far for me...... but it's what everyone else has already said. You need to find out if this is an employee perk or is it available to anyone connected to the client. If there is any ambiguity I'd leave it. Being the clients core product you have to be absolutely crystal clear here.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X