• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much do you put in your pension?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Major clue in the name....
    Not if you don't know what "drawdown" means, which I imagine is what he was asking!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'll be concentrating on a property portfolio rather than a huge pension. Yes, there will be a pension element but ultimately it's part of the semi-retired at 60 plan.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I pay £1k month into pensions from my Ltd.

What though is deemed to be a sizeable pension pot these days to get a half decent return in retirement ?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          I pay £1k month into pensions from my Ltd.

What though is deemed to be a sizeable pension pot these days to get a half decent return in retirement ?
          Decide how much you think you will need a year in pension income and use a calculator:
          Pension pot calculator: How much do you need to save for retirement | This is Money

I think I'd be pretty comfortable on about £20-25K a year income with the house all paid up.

Comment

Lumped together most of my permie pensions into SIPP a few years ago. Got about £100k in there.

Aint put a lot in there in last few years. Always seems to be something else to spend on. Kids do well, they get to go to Disney every single year - should probably be putting more in the pension than doing this! :-)

And of course this year, better to pay out divs now and do pension next year (well thats my excuse).

Late 40s now so probably better start putting more in.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Doesn't whether or not our partners have a pension and how much they putting have a massive impact on what we should be doing? No-one seems to have mentioned it.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

£1500 per month + 1 off annual top up with as much as I can afford up to the limit, currently 40k.

As I mentioned in another post didn't manage a full top up this year as fund are needed for work at our house.

It does amaze me the average pension pot sizes I've read about on the net, around £50-£60k. What is that supposed to do?
                Last edited by Scrag Meister; 8 March 2016, 13:06.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

£953 a month employers core contribution.
                  I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Need to start paying into one soon really. Had a decent pension plan from my last Permie employer, but not paid into it or another plan since I started contracting (less than 2 years).

My warchest is none existent though after a few month stint on the bench, so hard to think about anything other than building this back up right now. Maybe need to just get the pension set up and pay a fairly small amount in for now.

What do people do for financial advice? My accountant's firm also offer it, so thinking it may be easier to just go to them.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      Never bothered with pensions. Overpaid the mortgage instead. Missed out on the tax relief but saved a shed load in interest over the years and happy with the outcome.
                      This is my plan too

Comment

Working...
                      X