• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employment Allowance, To Claim, Or Not To Claim...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    [UK Contractor Accountant]You could maximise the take home pay further be paying the allowance as a loan[/UK Contractor Accountant]
    FTFY.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      Stand by for incoming missile, blowing "UK Contractor Accountant" out of the water (again).

The article linked earlier in this thread was written before the legislation was published. The legislation which has actually been enacted perhaps might possibly be construed to have more authority than an out of date article from the CIOT. Just possibly.

One would think a real accountant would know that and would actually look at the legislation (I linked it and copied it, it's not hard) rather than simply cite a dated CIOT article.
      Suggest you have a read- looks like you have blown yourself up with your own missile!

Employment Allowance 2016/17 | AccountingWEB

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyan...wife-directors

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyan...l-partly-there

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Not doing well in picking up clients via this board are you....
        How would you know?- anyway board is not for self promotion as per mods/admins

Comment

Originally posted by UK Contractor Accountant View Post
          How would you know?- anyway board is not for self promotion as per mods/admins
          I don't know but I think a few of the other accountants, umbrella companies and debt collection firms have got new clients from their useful posts...
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I have no idea why you'd need to read any of that. I've posted the draft legislation. It's draft legislation. It tells you everything you need to know in a few sentences, with that caveat. Rarely for legislation, the changes are pretty limited and straightforward. There's an earnings requirement (i.e. "secondary contributor") and there's a requirement that, to qualify for the allowance, you cannot have a single employed earner that is also a director. Also bear in mind the usual rules for business expenses, specifically w/r to whether a salary can be offset for CT purposes, but that's a separate issue (but one that will no doubt catch out a couple of muppets that are tying themselves up in knots trying to obtain this allowance).

Comment

Originally posted by UK Contractor Accountant View Post
              LOL. I did have a read. What did I learn?

That real accountants look at and cite the legislation, like I did (though I am not an accountant nor do I, unlike some people, claim to be one), and that there has to be a second wage earner to claim EA. Having a second director does not do it unless the second director is earning a wage.

I really do prefer to be polite when I can, but you do make it difficult sometimes. It's the slapping "Accountant" on your handle, which might make people trust you at first, that gets me when you post such rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                I have no idea why you'd need to read any of that. I've posted the draft legislation. It's draft legislation.
                JB, it's been enacted.

Draft Legislation:This is a draft item of legislation. This draft has since been made as a UK Statutory Instrument: The Employment Allowance (Excluded Companies) Regulations 2016 No. 344

Comment

JB, it's been enacted.
                  You also linked the draft but, yes, so it was, 10 March. Here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...0160344_en.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    You also linked the draft but, yes, so it was, 10 March
                    Yeah, was lazy on that, sorry . When I googled, it was the draft that came up, so I just went with it.

I didn't think someone would cite CIOT against the legislation itself , or I'd have been more precise.

Comment

Yeah, was lazy on that, sorry . When I googled, it was the draft that came up, so I just went with it.

I didn't think someone would cite CIOT against the legislation itself , or I'd have been more precise.
                      Tut. Can't get the staff.

Comment

Working...
                      X