• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

data breach

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Dunno. I'd be tempted to go along and listen first. Try not to say too much or admit too much and be sorry. If the meeting starts going pear shaped you can always leave and say sorry I think I need legal representation.

BUT depends what was emailed and the environment. If its just some crap project dox that mean nothing to anyone else its a lot different to a system design doc from a defence project.

Im thinking if its low level stuff the client might be wanting to ensure this is all it was, have a bit of a rant etc. If so, then just say sorry and it might be the end of it.

Surely if you take a legal person along it immediately ups the stakes.
    Thanks for that. At least the OP knows what NOT to... The entire thread seems to be advocating the same thing.. yet you would be inclined to go in and listen.. par for the course I guess.

You might want to think about that last line again.. Try applying some real world scenarios and some common sense.. Imagine you are the client and someone else turns up with a pin stripe lawyer...what would happen next?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 13 April 2016, 14:28.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Thanks for that. At least the OP knows what NOT to...

You might want to think about that last line again.. Try applying some real world scenarios and some common sense.. Imagine you are the client and someone else turns up with a pin stripe lawyer...what would happen next?
      If I was a client in finance or defence I would expect them to turn up with a lawyer as it means they realise the seriousness of their actions. The fact that I know they wouldn't be working in that sector again also helps.

If I was a client in any other sector I would think it was overkill and go for the jugular.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks for that. At least the OP knows what NOT to...

They scent blood and decide to go for the jugular?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Great minds....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Oh.. well I guess there is always a slight downside sometimes.

I was thinking it would be he who blinks first. Turn up represented and it becomes more than bullying the guy so the option to wag the finger and back off looks a lot more appealing.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 13 April 2016, 14:28.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Great minds....
              That was quite a freaky moment when I read your post.

Oh.. well I guess there is always a slight downside sometimes.
              You can never tell quite how these things will play out. Unlike a visit to NLyUK.....

Comment

If the OP has been invited (/requested/demanded) to go to a meeting, then he could ask them who will be attending from their side. It's a polite question and one that will reveal whether it is just a colleague to give him a wrist slap, or it's the company solicitors. If the company are sending in solicitors, then it's acceptable for him to take one too.

Again, all this is conjecture, we don't know the whole story. He needs to take legal advice before proceeding.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  If the OP has been invited (/requested/demanded) to go to a meeting, then he could ask them who will be attending from their side. It's a polite question and one that will reveal whether it is just a colleague to give him a wrist slap, or it's the company solicitors. If the company are sending in solicitors, then it's acceptable for him to take one too.

Again, all this is conjecture, we don't know the whole story. He needs to take legal advice before proceeding.
                  Not a bad idea - but it would help if the OP posted the request.

Again it depends on who it came from and the wording. If it's from the project manager then bend over or if it's from HR then lawyer up

Comment

Only if he works in a circus....

Beyond seek legal advice and be honest with whoever is advising you, I don't see anything further that can be added to the thread.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Only if he works in a circus....

Beyond seek legal advice and be honest with whoever is advising you, I don't see anything further that can be added to the thread.
                      I think he needs to get a solicitor and get a professional opinion....

Comment

Working...
                      X