• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invoice paid through shares.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Well i had thought they where registered to my friends company but actually on checking its registered to my friend.

So hopefully amount is less than CGT limit?

Why not hold onto them and get some dividends?

Imagine if the company turned into the next Microsoft! You could be the next Paul Allen!

Comment

A while back I did a bit of work for a client that was having problems. The client said they could not pay my invoice but offered me shares in their company. I didn't think the shares would be worth anything so the accountant wrote it off as bad debt.

Anyway, now the client wants to buy back the shares. Not decided on selling them but how would this income be reported? Would I just add it to my sales/profit, then corp tax would apply? Would I need to tell HMRC that it's related to a bad debt write off? Can I just take the cash in my private bank account and blow it on the ponies?

And yes I will ask my accountant.
      Out of curiosity are they shares worth more now than the original invoice? Depending on how desperately you need the money might be worth holding onto them.

They must want them for a reason

Comment

Irrespective of who the shares are registered to as any asset they belong to the company. They are held in trust for it.

So flogging them and trousering it (even after worrying about CGT) would be committing all sorts of offences

But in this sort of situation it would have been fairly common for the debt to be written off and the director to have bought the shares from the company at a fairly nominal price based on the apparent worth of the shares at the time and this to be debited to the DLA. Stops the company from owing said changes.

It wouldn't be unusual for the details of this arrangement to have been lost down the back of the sofa either.

Comment

My friend thanks you for your help. And of course he heeds your warnings about doing things right.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

So hopefully amount is less than CGT limit?

Why not hold onto them and get some dividends?

Imagine if the company turned into the next Microsoft! You could be the next Paul Allen!
            This time next year rodders.

Nope not posting the amount here

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
              Out of curiosity are they shares worth more now than the original invoice? Depending on how desperately you need the money might be worth holding onto them.

They must want them for a reason
              They are worth more than the original invoice and the more I think about it keeping hold is probably the best thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                Irrespective of who the shares are registered to as any asset they belong to the company. They are held in trust for it.

So flogging them and trousering it (even after worrying about CGT) would be committing all sorts of offences

But in this sort of situation it would have been fairly common for the debt to be written off and the director to have bought the shares from the company at a fairly nominal price based on the apparent worth of the shares at the time and this to be debited to the DLA. Stops the company from owing said changes.

It wouldn't be unusual for the details of this arrangement to have been lost down the back of the sofa either.
                Yep it's coming back to me now, £1 i think the shares where bought for and that sofa going up in flames has brought back the memories.

Comment

Yep it's coming back to me now, £1 i think the shares where bought for and that sofa going up in flames has brought back the memories.
                  Have you received dividends on them in the past? If so, then how did you declare them? As company income or personal? If not (which seems likely given the info here) then I'm gong to guess that they want to pay a dividend out and don't want you to get that cash.

EDIT:
                  Sorry, I meant your friend, not you of course...
                  "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                  "See?"

Comment

Working...
                  X