• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

no 2017 SJD spreadsheet? any alternatives?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I knew what you meant by that

Comment

Originally posted by Antimus View Post
      I wish I knew what you meant by that
      He means you know you can save 800 quid by not getting a proper accountant but you have no idea how much you are losing or could stand to lose by not using one. The benefits of that 800 quid are lost to you because you are only looking at the cost.

The problem is you think you know what you might know. The danger is not knowing what you do not know. That's what is going to trip you up. When something hits you from left field you didn't know about or consider and leaves you high and dry. One example is buggering about with directors loans but don't take the time to fully understand bed and breakfasting and the new regulations. We can all take a loan from the company but very few understand all the implications and legislations around it. That's a fairly basic example.

A practical example is a number of contractors I know think they've got the grasp of paying themselves divis under the threshold but have failed to understand the implications of the new divi tax meaning it is actually more efficient to take over the threshold this year as it is cheaper than it will be in future years. You should see the look on peoples faces when I tried to explain that. Then the look on my face when they ask if they can backdate the dividends.....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ok I get that, but you're making assumptions. I check everything with my accountant first, so I know alt the dividend changes, acting I don't know I ask and when I send them my spreadsheet every quarter they check through it.
        Having read around this morning I'm getting the impression that I may need to change my ways anyway, if only for the sake of my own sanity. There are a lot of people who have said they've moved from the sjd spreadsheet to one of these online systems and I'd be an idiot if I ignored that.
        Anyway I hate to abandon my own thread but I'm off away for the weekend, will have a think about this next week.
        Thanks for the input y'all

Comment

A practical example is a number of contractors I know think they've got the grasp of paying themselves divis under the threshold but have failed to understand the implications of the new divi tax meaning it is actually more efficient to take over the threshold this year as it is cheaper than it will be in future years.
          Funny you should mention that, that's exactly what I did this year.
          Before I went off on my extended holiday jolly, I had an excellent summary from my accountant. Went away not only with total piece of mind, but also a few thousand quid, extra, in my pocket.
          Went a large way to paying expenses for my time away.

Still, some would rather save £800 per year - false economy.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Ok I get that, but you're making assumptions. I check everything with my accountant first, so I know alt the dividend changes, acting I don't know I ask and when I send them my spreadsheet every quarter they check through it.
            Having read around this morning I'm getting the impression that I may need to change my ways anyway, if only for the sake of my own sanity. There are a lot of people who have said they've moved from the sjd spreadsheet to one of these online systems and I'd be an idiot if I ignored that.
            Anyway I hate to abandon my own thread but I'm off away for the weekend, will have a think about this next week.
            Thanks for the input y'all
            The fact you've come back and asked questions and listened is a bonus. Most drop a one liner on US minus all the important detail and don't bother posting again because they didn't get the answer they wanted to hear.

Kudos for sticking around after the wobble at the beginning, listening to what people say and actually considering it. Even if you don't take the advice then fair enough. You've made an informed decision which makes all this buggering about on these forums worthwhile for me.

You see why we like to go off topic now.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There's a free sheet on our website if it's of help. It's primarily meant for our clients, but if it's if use by all means help yourself.

It may or may not survive another tax year, depends on getting clarity around HMRCs "Making Tax Digital" agenda. At some stage I suspect we will need to migrate everyone to Freeagent/xero/sage/quick books/ANO, but we are holding fire pending (maybe wishful thinking) clarity.

Comment

Not surprising if they've stopped putting it in their free downloads, really going to cause me problems though, anyone know of a decent alternative?

Thanks,
                Do you mean the dividend planner one? That is quite handy...
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

FYI - SJD spreadsheet appears to be available to download now

Comment

Working...
                  X