• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving Abroad to be in Same Time Zone as Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Abroad to be in Same Time Zone as Client

Hi,

I am a contractor(sole member and Directory of Ltd co.) with a single client based in the Pacific time zone. I have been partly working their hours the past year but have recently decided to relocate to their time zone so as to be able to work with the client more effectively.

My question is, whether I can claim relocation expenses? As you may imagine, I will be moving country which further complicates things.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks!

Is the move permanent?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You won't get sponsorship as a contractor so the visa may be an issue.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Seems a bit drastic as a contractor. What happens when the next client is back home?

I won't even move from Wales to England to be closer to my clients. (That is a bit much to expect mind).
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by trebor123 View Post
          Hi,

I am a contractor(sole member and Directory of Ltd co.) with a single client based in the Pacific time zone. I have been partly working their hours the past year but have recently decided to relocate to their time zone so as to be able to work with the client more effectively.

My question is, whether I can claim relocation expenses? As you may imagine, I will be moving country which further complicates things.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks!
          Riiiiiiight.. Of course you are. We get this question quite a lot but most are a bit more honest about it.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This is a version of the more interesting question of what happens when all the Australasian contractors return home? Do they do final scrupulous accounts or do they take all the cash and give a tulip?
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Yes don't forget you will probably need some kind of Visa depending on which country we are talking about. A tourist Visa will not allow you to do work and to get a working Visa you most likely need sponsorship which you aren't going to get as the owner of your own Ltd company since you aren't employed by the foreign client.

Regardless I think the short answer is no - these sort of expenses are only claimable if you could legitimately say that the travel or relocation is wholly necessary for the business, i.e. you can't work remotely.

Comment

What's to stop you hiring a villa and sitting by the pool working on the laptop? As far as I can see, nothing? Couldn't really claim for it but it would beat sitting at home in the UK.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

If you can rent something in that timezone and balance that off by renting out your place here, would that be worth looking at?

As I've said, you won't get a visa because of the sponsorship issue; consider internet connection speeds and reliability of your intended destination too.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I already have a visa for the country I'm moving to so that's not an issue. If this client relationship ends, I would likely continue as a contractor out there.

Consensus seems to be no? I can certainly do the work remotely from the UK but it has not been ideal working basically 4pm -2am.

Comment

Working...
                    X