• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to Contracting - Question about Tax Credits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    If you're a LTD co contractor you presumably reckon you're outside IR35.
    If you are, but not paid enough such that you can get tax credits then you're quite junior. And therefore likely to be under D&C.

That's my chain of thought when I see this sort of question. Is it worth raising the attention of HMRC? It sounds risky to me. You might be outside but attracting attention doesn't seem wise.
    I asked a question on here about tax credits a few years ago and people said don't call HMRC .. you'll draw attention to yourself.

If I hadn't phone HMRC and got advice I'd be absolutely screwed right now, they are not just sitting there waiting to pounce on people who have made genuine mistakes or need advice.. give them a call, explain the situation and see what they say.

If youre just general asking advice they won't even need your details

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      If you're a LTD co contractor you presumably reckon you're outside IR35.
      If you are, but not paid enough such that you can get tax credits then you're quite junior. And therefore likely to be under D&C.
      Did you read the guy's post?

He's been underpaid for 9 years as a permie hence the need for tax credits, and is new to contracting.

It doesn't mean he's junior.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I would have thought if your contract is worth more than £60k and you claim you would be on extremely thin ice
        But you're confusing the business income with your income, they are two different things (except 6th April onwards and on a PS contract )

Comment

Working...
        X