• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Embarrassed - VAT not paid by agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embarrassed - VAT not paid by agency

Morning all, please be gentle.. I'm very embarrassed at my naivety..

I just wanted to see where I stand on this matter if anyone could give me some advice..

Long story short, I was always an Umbrella company contractor, mainly as I did not understand the whole process fully.. so anyway last year while in between contracts I decided enough was enough and went from my previous umbrella company (name removed) over to their Ltd company side of things called (name removed) .. and then around a month or so after I joined the (name removed) on a contract via (name removed)..

(name removed) helped incorporate my company, do the VAT registration, flat rate scheme, insurance via Hiscox yada yada yada..

So anyway I billed each week via my timesheet and got paid how I thought was normal.. i.e my daily rate x 5 each week..

Fast forward 56 weeks and I've now finished the (name removed) contract and I'm on another contract for the (name removed).. as I thought (name removed) were not very good for the amount of money I paid them each month (£230), I decided that as my year was up with them I'd get a new and recommended accountant used by a long standing contractor friend of mine.. all good so far there..

So now I notice each week when I'm paid, I get the 5 x daily rate plus a VAT payment additionally.. so guess what, thats when the penny drops. Yes you guessed it, I never got the VAT portion paid on any invoice during the previous 56 or so weeks that I was there for.

They never asked for my VAT registration certificate, I never knew that I needed to give them it and my accounts also never mentioned it / picked up on it..

I obviously still have all my (name removed) self bill remittances, so found the (name removed) payroll telephone number and explained the situation to them. I kind of got the impression that they were aware that they had been waiting for me to send a VAT number in just by the way the girl spoke to me.. but anyway, I was asked to email a copy of my certificate in to them and I await whatever happens next..

I just wanted to see if anyone would have any past experience of such a similar folly.. I have obviously paid my VAT dues each quarter since I started as a Ltd company but would like to claim this owed VAT back if possible.. it amounts to quite a few thousand pounds.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by choci; 13 September 2016, 08:42. Reason: names have been changed to protect the innocent

[QUOTE=choci;2310018]<Originally quoted original poster. OP requested removal of client names, so I have removed the quote>QUOTE]

<and his own name> Usually, you would just produce a separate invoice just for the VAT amount and details, with your VAT number on it.
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 13 September 2016, 09:14. Reason: Removal of identifying information
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You have a new accountant. Why aren't you speaking to them?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        <modsnip> Usually, you would just produce a separate invoice just for the VAT amount and details, with your VAT number on it.

Hi Mark, many thanks for the swift reply.. much appreciated.

I've literally just spoken to my current accountant on the phone who suggested the same thing, he also mentioned about if the timing was right it wouldn't cost Hays a penny as this will be an "input" to them and they should simply reclaim it from HMRC without a fuss.

They would have charged VAT on to their customer (Name removed)) regardless of your charges to them. As such they should not have to have recourse to the NHS..

I said I'd leave it with (name removed) for a few days as I only emailed in my company VAT certificate late yesterday afternoon.. and then after that if I don't hear anything I'll chase and also submit an invoice on company headed paper for the VAT portion of what I'm asking for.

I'll keep the post updated on how things progress / or don't

Cheers
        Last edited by NotAllThere; 13 September 2016, 09:14. Reason: Removal of identifying information

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          OP is just asking for anyone that's experienced similar, isn't that what forums are for? You must get tired of writing 'ask your accountant' on every post, why not just move on to the next post and let someone with a helpful response reply?

Comment

Thanks for the response, I have also spoken to my accountant..

I just wanted to see if there are any others "wet behind the ears" who had a similar experience.

Cheers
            Last edited by choci; 13 September 2016, 08:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent View Post
              OP is just asking for anyone that's experienced similar, isn't that what forums are for? You must get tired of writing 'ask your accountant' on every post, why not just move on to the next post and let someone with a helpful response reply?
              Thank you for your support, much appreciated. I feel stupid enough as it is.

All the best
              Last edited by choci; 13 September 2016, 08:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent View Post
                He doesn't need a helpful reply as you've just pointed out. Reading that sorry tale telling someone to speak their accountany is very good advice if it's required or not IMO.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 13 September 2016, 08:04.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

He doesn't need a helpful reply as you've just pointed out. Reading that sorry tale telling someone to speak their accountany is very good advice if it's required or not IMO.
                  I disagree, if he didn't need a helpful reply then he wouldn't have posted a question. As he's mentioned about, he's looking for anyone that's had similar experience.

Much of a muchness either way, I just see you post 'ask an accountant' on so many posts without actually sharing any of your personal experience. Just odd that you'd bother each time... but let's move on.

OP - hope you get it sorted, sounds like you'll be able to catchup on invoicing which is good news for the flat rate return!

Comment

Originally posted by choci View Post
                    Thank you for your support, much appreciated. I feel stupid enough as it is.

All the best
                    [Real name of poster]
                    Quit putting your name after your posts.

Some posters have been uncovered by agents and clients asking sensitive questions so putting your first name however common helps this even more.
                    Last edited by SueEllen; 13 September 2016, 08:23.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X