• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client asking for some training to be completed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client asking for some training to be completed

Hi all,

I've only been in contracting since late last year, so apologies for having to ask such basic questions. I've found a few relevant posts on here relating to my question, but I wanted to get the opinions of others on it.

I've been with this client for a good few months now. They are very keen on developing secure software, so today I received an email that the client would like all permanent and non-permanent developers to take a 2 hour online interactive training course covering how to handle various security issues with software. This online course requires you to login with the email account that the client has given me to access internal systems, this can't be avoided as this is the terms of the licensing of the course.

I'm not an expert on software security and I want to ensure the software I deliver to the client meets their needs, so I feel like doing this would be a good thing. I am concerned that completing client training may be seen as a negative when it comes to assessing my IR35 status. Qdos have already reviewed my contract and working practices and have said I am outside of IR35.

From reading the related posts, it seems like it would be OK to do as long as my working practices put me outside of IR35. Would you agree based on what I've said above? If I should reject this offer of training, how should I go about it without coming across badly? Although I'm not sure what the consequences are if I rejected it because it would affect them commercially.

Thanks

If everything else in terms of your contract and working practices is sound, one thing is not going to push you inside IR35.

Comment

2 hours online course in isolation isn't going to be an issue whatever it's about. Good of you to seek an opinion rather than just saying yes as most would though.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 30 September 2016, 12:03.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eventar View Post

They are very keen on developing secure software, so today I received an email that the client would like all permanent and non-permanent developers to take a 2 hour online interactive training course covering how to handle various security issues with software.
        Sounds like they want you to fit their software development governance model. Which IMO is the same as H&S compliance.

"here are the quality standards we want you meet now clear off and deliver against your contract'
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

This is, as the others have said, just like standard ops risk compliance training. If not doing it would preventing you from staying in the contract, it's a no-brainer.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I don't see this as a training, rather its a requirement specification that you are going to read and apply. IMO, there is nothing here to do with IR35

Comment

Working...
            X