• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trips to USA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trips to USA

I'm a UK national about to start a contract with a UK company so contract is between two UK entities and payments will all be in GB pounds. Work will require frequent business trips to USA, as the client is a global company with substantial USA operations. Anyone know if there is any tax risk in doing this, with IRS? I've heard that IRS can be difficult, and do vaguely recall something about 14 day limits on business trips.
    Any advice helpful
    thanks

You say "frequent" trips - how many and for how long?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

And do you have the correct visa for this work?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Looks like you need to enquire about a business visa, and find out what the conditions are.

https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...sa-center.html
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

And don't try to work with the incorrect visa as you can get banned from the US.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

A business visa confers the same rights as a visa waiver (VWP). The only reason to apply for a B1 is when you don't qualify for the VWP.

There are no tax implications, because you're working for a UK company whose client is in the US (as I understand your description). If you were working directly for a US company, you could have a US liability and your US client would then have a withholding requirement (US source income of a non-US person). That is not the situation you present.

The main thing you need to remember is to stay on the right side of "non-productive" work. You cannot do "productive work" under the B1 or VWP. If your work involves meetings, it's absolutely fine. If it involves sitting at a computer, developing, designing, or otherwise engaging in work that produces something material, you either need a special situation (e.g. installing equipment) or you need an employment visa.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              There are no tax implications, because you're working for a UK company whose client is in the US (as I understand your description).
              There could be tax implications depending on how long he/she is working out there for.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

The main thing you need to remember is to stay on the right side of "non-productive" work. You cannot do "productive work" under the B1 or VWP. If your work involves meetings, it's absolutely fine. If it involves sitting at a computer, developing, designing, or otherwise engaging in work that produces something material, you either need a special situation (e.g. installing equipment) or you need an employment visa.
                Similar to China then. As long as you're in 'meetings' then you only need a visitor visa.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  There could be tax implications depending on how long he/she is working out there for.
                  Only if they become a US person (e.g. substantial presence test) or the income becomes US source income. I'll revise my assessment if the OP responds to your question but, based on the limited information provided, the main issue will be their ability to perform the contracted work without an employment visa, not the tax situation. I'm also assuming that the OP is not a US citizen, for example.

Comment

Working...
                  X