• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Team lunch business expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    I think the answer was to do it as entertainment rather than an expense. So you can claim it personally from your CO, but it's not an expense you can get CT relief on.
    I thought myself and other posters had answered that already?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I thought myself and other posters had answered that already?
      they/you had. Not sure if the OP had missed it by his last post.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        they/you had. Not sure if the OP had missed it by his last post.
        Every time I read posts by certain posters I suddenly have lots of sympathy for their accountants.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks again for your responses.

The general feeling appears to be it would be ok to put the cost through the business but not as a tax deductible expense. This would therefore be classed as an "entertaining expense" which is perfectly acceptable (within limits) with HMRC if the aim of the entertaining is to increase value to the business, for example, aiming to secure a new contract.

However, the 2nd link posted by Northernladuk (thank you for this) states:

"HMRC defines entertainment expenses as those costs you incur when providing either subsidised or free hospitality to clients or staff. Examples of entertaining, whether it is for staff or clients, could include but is not limited to the following: food and drink, theatre or concert tickets, sporting event tickets and use of company assets such as executive suites."

However, my entertainment is neither for clients nor staff, simply for the contractor team that I supervise.

It therefore appears to me to be a difficult argument to win if the tax man comes asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint John View Post
            It therefore appears to me to be a difficult argument to win if the tax man comes asking.
            IMO absolutely correct.

And as I said I'd ask why you are bothering. If I had a contractor boss and a load of contractors went out I'd full expect to pay my own way. It makes no sense for the boss contractor to pay. Permie thinking that is.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              IMO absolutely correct.

And as I said I'd ask why you are bothering. If I had a contractor boss and a load of contractors went out I'd full expect to pay my own way. It makes no sense for the boss contractor to pay. Permie thinking that is.
              +1 having led teams of up to 10 contractors, everyone just chips in.
              Usually, me having involvement in the recruitment, means they are all more than happy with what they get as a day rate
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint John View Post
                Thanks again for your responses.

The general feeling appears to be it would be ok to put the cost through the business but not as a tax deductible expense. This would therefore be classed as an "entertaining expense" which is perfectly acceptable (within limits) with HMRC if the aim of the entertaining is to increase value to the business, for example, aiming to secure a new contract.
                Genuine bribes are classed under different rules.

Comment

Working...
                X