• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting, contracting leading to fixed term contract and LTD question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to contracting, contracting leading to fixed term contract and LTD question

Hi All, I was recently recommended to come join this community as I am wanting to leave my current role which is mostly overseas and come back to the UK.
    I have a job offer contracting close to home but because of the circumstances and details around the offer, I am unsure if LTD or umbrella, or simply self assessment would be the best approach.

I would be leaving full time work to accept this offer: 3 month contract on a agreed day rate to help an organisation achieve a piece of work. If that work is done well, they claim to have 18 months funding secured to offer an additional 18 months on a fixed term contract.
    So this would initially be 3 months contracting followed by 18 month employed.

When I see this, I think setting up a Ltd and going down that road might be too much effort for just a short 3 month contract and think I might consider umbrella for that period.

On the flip side, there is no guarantee I am offered the 18 month work as a fixed term and so I may move onto another contract, which obviously means having an Ltd set up would be beneficial.

So in a nut shell, i'm trying to understand how those of you with experience would handle this decision, would it make sense to set up an ltd even for 3 months. In regards to day rate in case that impact the advice, the day rate will be on the higher end of the scale.

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Use a brolly.

you don't want to be a contractor.

Comment

Well it's up to you. If you're going to carry on after this gig and not go back perm, then go Ltd regardless of 3months or more. If you plan to do this short-term and then go back perm, go brolly.

NEXT!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

can you recommend good umbrella firms?

Comment

Originally posted by agermoses View Post
          can you recommend good umbrella firms?
          Look here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/publi...-umbrella.html
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

when you say 'funding secured' is this public sector?

Comment

Originally posted by b r View Post
              when you say 'funding secured' is this public sector?
              Funnily enough of all the comments that would have lead me to the assumption this was a PS gig, this was not one of them.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Umbrella - it'll get you used to the level of pay that you'll be getting for the FTC too. With a limited, you'll be worse off by still having annual accounting obligations but with only three months of revenue/operation.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                X