• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Ireland using UK Ltd Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Icon too, couple of things, Irish Limited co’s don’t have the concept of dividends, relocation costs are only claimable from the revenue for the last three months and a question to end, how many days over the term of this contract have you spent in Uk?

Comment

Interesting point. If the contract has no end then doesn't that mean the gig is no longer a temporary place of work so ,if UK taxes are applicable, Travel and Subsistence can't be claimed?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by coolkat View Post
        As mentioned previously, I agreed a rate based on a 6 week contract and UK taxes solely.
        But ended up staying much longer than planned.
        1. You need to get an accountant. You can't work this one out yourself.
        2. When you renegotiated the contract extensions, you should have renegotiated the rate due to the length of the contract.
        3. Now you are in an "indefinite" length contract, you are basically a permanent employee, so I'm not sure how you will renegotiate your rate.
        4. Your accountant should be able to sort these things out, but given the length of time it has been going on, it's probably going to cost you a bit to get them to unpick it all.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Hi @northernladyuk, thanks for your reply.

I am working physically in Ireland and have been staying for most of the time (normally travel to the UK once every 2/3 months only).

Do you think I can pay myself the amount of around 1,500.00 per month and prepare Irish PAYE over this amount?
          It's definitely enough to cover all my expenses here, excluding accommodation of course.

Can I still keep CT and dividends solely taxable in the UK?

Thanks!!!
          You really really need professional advice from a qualified and experienced Irish professional.

I will do my best: it is very likely that all funds (excl. VAT) paid to your UK Ltd are liable to Irish income tax, PRSI and USC. If you've been paying tax (both personally and your Ltd) in the UK on your Ltd's income, it needs to be undone - I don't know how to do this, but it must be doable. There is also the question of the jusrisdiction in which VAT should be paid - I don't know the answer to this.

I am fairly sure you can't do what you propose.

Please get proper advice.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Interesting point. If the contract has no end then doesn't that mean the gig is no longer a temporary place of work so ,if UK taxes are applicable, Travel and Subsistence can't be claimed?
            This really is the least of the worries. And I would expect that Irish Revenue rules would apply.

Comment

Thanks for your advice.
              I am not trying to "get away" with anything, I just want to comply with tax rules in Ireland.
              As mentioned previously, I agreed a rate based on a 6 week contract and UK taxes solely.
              But ended up staying much longer than planned.
              So that's why I need a solution that is both most tax efficient as possible and is completely compliant at the same time...
              If you want to be compliant (and HMRC and Irish Revenue do swap info), then you are not looking at tax efficiency. Adjust question 2 to show self-employed for an approximation of return through a Ltd. Deloitte | Budget 2017 Tax Calculator

Comment

Contracting in Ireland using UK Ltd Company

Quick questions:
                1. Are you a UK/EU citizen?
                2. If not, do you have the correct paperwork to allow you to work in Ireland?
                3. Are there any pertinent facts which you are withholding from us?
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  You really really need professional advice from a qualified and experienced Irish professional.

I will do my best: it is very likely that all funds (excl. VAT) paid to your UK Ltd are liable to Irish income tax, PRSI and USC. If you've been paying tax (both personally and your Ltd) in the UK on your Ltd's income, it needs to be undone - I don't know how to do this, but it must be doable. There is also the question of the jusrisdiction in which VAT should be paid - I don't know the answer to this.

I am fairly sure you can't do what you propose.

Please get proper advice.
                  I did this first time I worked here, you register in UK with EC Sales on government gateway, enter sales in that, charge no VAT, but include agents VAT number on each invoice.

Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Quick questions:
                    1. Are you a UK/EU citizen?
                    2. If not, do you have the correct paperwork to allow you to work in Ireland?
                    3. Are there any pertinent facts which you are withholding from us?
                    Yes, I' m an EU citizen.
                    By the EU laws, you are allowed to have UK Ltd company and get contracts around EEA...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      I did this first time I worked here, you register in UK with EC Sales on government gateway, enter sales in that, charge no VAT, but include agents VAT number on each invoice.

Simples.
                      My UK accountant has never told me about this "EC Sales"...
                      Could you please inform where I could check this information!?
                      Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X