• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No signed timesheet - no actual contract!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bee View Post
    It's hard to maintain the serenity of a forum when you are always interrupted with nonsense just because you don't read the posts and assuming crazy things, wasting hour time to explain what you have missed and complicate what could be simple.
    :
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would still consider taking them to small claims. I have done this a number of times over the years for consumer issues (never for work though) and the company has always capitulated before it reached a court hearing. Their strategy is to ignore customers until they push hard enough.

3 weeks work would be below the 10k limit for most contractors.

Civil suits 'facts' are judged on the balance of probabilities so you don't need to prove the case to an extremely high degree - just better than the agency could dispute it. The email chain may be enough to establish this.

But two points make this very difficult: there is no stated or implied rate, so what amount do you claim for? Why did he even start a contract without knowing what he might earn? Secondly it's not clear whether agency or client are liable.

I would still bluff though - pick a reasonable day rate and make the claim against the agency. It will cost around 120 in fees IIRC so if you have even a 5% chance of succeeding in getting say 5-10k back, it makes sense.
      Last edited by Zylon; 6 October 2017, 14:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Zylon View Post
        I would still consider taking them to small claims. I have done this a number of times over the years for consumer issues (never for work though) and the company has always capitulated before it reached a court hearing. Their strategy is to ignore customers until they push hard enough.
        If you go to court and win they know you can get the media interested, so companies all know to give up before the judge makes a ruling.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Originally posted by Zylon View Post
          If you go to court and win they know you can get the media interested, so companies all know to give up before the judge makes a ruling.
          In Portugal it's the same and we include all the expenses that with have spend with the process in the agreement.

But we don't send to Court without notice, (both parties are interested to avoid Courts) before that, a lawyer will represent you and try to solve the conflict if it fails the lawyer shall take care all the process to Court, 99% the agreements are done before the judge make a ruling.

Comment

Useful. Thanks.

Comment

Hi all, update...

The agency emailed, offering half. To be exact, they asked for the invoice to be adjusted to that, quoting "7 months between invoice and works, asked to leave site, no submission of anything onsite to validate engagement" etc.

This after the first physical, Recorded Delivery letter telling them to pay or face the wrath of the Solicitors, they had been ignoring nearly all emails, including the one where my man soft-headedly emailed them in broken English saying "In your heart you should pay, God is watching"....suffice to say I had a word with him and he will NOT be sending any emails without my say so !!

To me the fact they've asked for the invoice to be adjusted is an admission of liability, only thing I'm not sure how to play it from here.

Comment

Originally posted by JCinCUK View Post
                Hi all, update...

The agency emailed, offering half. To be exact, they asked for the invoice to be adjusted to that, quoting "7 months between invoice and works, asked to leave site, no submission of anything onsite to validate engagement" etc.

This after the first physical, Recorded Delivery letter telling them to pay or face the wrath of the Solicitors, they had been ignoring nearly all emails, including the one where my man soft-headedly emailed them in broken English saying "In your heart you should pay, God is watching"....suffice to say I had a word with him and he will NOT be sending any emails without my say so !!

To me the fact they've asked for the invoice to be adjusted is an admission of liability, only thing I'm not sure how to play it from here.
                Good progress. Over recorded mail delivery, I'd state same things from 1st mail and let them know it's not a negotiation, get this document notarised and send it off. I'd keep pushing for 100%. In future mails I'd cite interest will not be charged on monies held by agency.

Comment

Originally posted by HPsauce View Post
                  Good progress. Over recorded mail delivery, I'd state same things from 1st mail and let them know it's not a negotiation, get this document notarised and send it off. I'd keep pushing for 100%. In future mails I'd cite interest will not be charged on monies held by agency.
                  Appreciate the input. I'm personally in favour of going for 100% too.

Any one else agree/disagree??

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    It should be no problem to get paid, do as NLUK says i.e. keep sending reminders and if necessary take them to court. It is highly unlikely that an employee in the agency would turn up and risk a prison sentence by lying about the fact in court that there was no contract.
                    I really thought this was unrealistice, (and sorry I'm late back to my own party), but hey....

PAYMENT IN FULL MADE. A couple of weeks after the post immediately above this one.

It all hinged, I think, on the fact the pimps did NOT know my man didn't have any correspondence he took offsite. And, speaking of pimps...

MODS - may I indulge in some naming and shaming here?

Comment

Cool story bro.. :

Comment

Working...
                      X